Staff Editorial

Cougars edge Bruins, delight fans at same time

Case Keenum added a triumphant chapter to his comeback story as the Cougars made a statement in their 38-34 win against UCLA on Saturday at Robertson Stadium.

Though UH does not have another home game until Sept. 24 versus Georgia State, it‘s safe to say that football fever has returned to campus.

With the victory, UH sent a message to a national audience. On television, Robertson sounded deafening and looked packed. The excitement was certainly palpable.

But what was the deal with the handful of fans who rushed the field after the game? The enthusiasm is appreciated, but the Cougars were favored to win and led for the entire game. There was a nervous energy in the stadium when the Bruins reeled off 20 unanswered points, but that was the only time the lead was in serious jeopardy.

The game’s result was firmly decided in the fourth quarter.

Technically, fans shouldn’t have done it in 2009 when UH beat Texas Tech. UH was also favored to win that game.

But it was excusable then, since students were so hungry to embrace a winner. Unless the Cougars pull off an upset over a top-ranked team or win the Conference USA Championship, there is no reason to rush the field again.

The playing field should be treated with more respect. Fans should refrain from rushing in the future; it just looks silly.

If UH beats Marshall and Rice at home and fans proceed to run on the field then, people will think that the Cougar Nation is overly-antsy to celebrate a win.

Though UH will not host a game for more than two weeks, the next two games are not far away. The Cougars’ next game is in Denton, just outside of Dallas, and it is about a five-hour drive. On Sept. 17 UH will face Louisiana Tech in Ruston, La., which is also approximately the same distance.

We encourage you and your friends to make road trips if you are able to, but if you can’t make it The Daily Cougar will be there to keep you updated.

• For realsies? Your are the VOICE of the Student Body, and amidst one of the biggest conference realignments in history, in which UofH will make or break its future as an athletic program – you're completely *silent* on the issue? Either you're a mouthpiece for the Administration, or…

That's the DC…timely and organized.