Channel 8’s Nightly Business Report comes to UH

The most popular daily business news show in America, Nightly Business Report, will soon have a Houston bureau located at UH’s PBS station.

Houston PBS will be partnering with Houston Public Radio in order to provide content to Nightly Business Report by using their established knowledge of the Houston business community.

“(The) bureau will provide a greater opportunity to showcase Houston’s economic, technology and business news impact locally, nationally and around the world,” Houston PBS Executive Director of Content Patricia Torres-Burd said.

Previous Senior Vice President and Executive Editor Rodney Ward said in a New York Times article that the show’s recent reformatting will provide viewers with more analysis, perspective and context.

In the same article, news consultant Jim Russell said that the reformatting will not change the show’s primary goal of educating its audience and empowering viewers to make better financial decisions.

KUHF’s Jack Williams said that the move is just the first step in an ongoing trend.

“(It’s) probably the first of many similar projects as radio and TV become one organization over the next several months,” Willams said.

Ten stories per year will be delivered to the Nightly Business Report, featuring interviews with local leaders in the business community.

Stories will likely include subjects such as the impact of the drought on local farming and ranching industries, as well as the lack of qualified engineers available to Houston’s oil industry. Other stories might focus on Houston’s Medical Center, which is the largest in the world.

“Because Houston has diversified its economy away from just oil and gas, we expect to report on a wide range of stories,” Williams said.

The first piece will be aired the week of Sept. 19 to the approximately 530,000 viewers who tune in to NBH daily. NBR can be seen in Houston weeknights at 5:30 p.m. on Channel 8.