Soccer

Winless Cougars, Tigers compete for first victory

The Cougars will face a Texas Southern team also looking for its first victory at 7 p.m. Friday at Robertson Stadium.

Both the Cougars (0-5-0) and Tigers (0-3-0) have been anemic on offense. TSU has yet to score this season and UH has only two goals.

“For us it’s about capitalizing on our chances and building on that,” head coach Susan Bush said. “That will bring us confidence and more energy.”

Sophomore goalkeeper Cami Koski believes that UH’s mechanics are solid, but they lack the finishing touch needed to win.

“We need to have more of a sense of urgency and threat in front of the goal,” Koski said. “We need to work out a few kinks. We’ve had our chances here and there, but we need to take advantage of our opportunities.”

Senior Jessica Zavalza, who has scored both of the Cougars’ goals, said the team needs to settle mentally and work as a cohesive unit.

“We talked about how it’s an opportunity to build our confidence,” Zavalza said.

“As a team we believe we’re going to win on Friday.”

Although the Cougars have scored only twice in their first five outings, Bush feels that their goals will come as the season progresses.

“We know the intensity we have to bring to score,” Bush said. “We have tons of potential but until we put it all together it’s a tough road.”