Music

Moores gives audience a taste of what’s to come

The Symphony Orchestra performed a Queen medley that included “We Will Rock You,” “We Are the Champions,” “Keep Yourself Alive” and “You’re My Best Friend.” Conductor Franz Anton Krager encouraged audience members to sing along to the Orchestra’s performance. | Catherine Lara/The Daily Cougar

The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines “collage” as “a creative work that resembles such a composition in incorporating various materials or elements,” which is surprisingly accurate for Collage 2011, the annual preview concert of what is to come this season at Moores School of Music.

It is also a showcase of the wide range of talent in both solo and ensemble acts — musical styles from jazz to opera took the stage Thursday at the Moores Opera House to begin the semester.

With Buck Ross serving as producer and David Ashley White as director, the show was performed without any rehearsal beforehand — a critical aspect of the show that made the event even more enjoyable.

There were various performances throughout the night, but the audience reception towards these performances deemed some more memorable than others.

Perhaps the two most hyped pieces of the night were Concert Chorale’s moving rendition of U2’s “MLK” and the Queen Medley performed by the Moores School Symphony Orchestra.

While “MLK” was a memoriam piece written to Martin Luther King from U2 lead singer Bono, the Chorale’s performance was a tribute to those who lost their lives on Sept. 11, 2001.

The performance itself was endearing and Aaron Casey performed a brilliant solo, but the Chorale’s added harmony served as the icing on the cake.

The Symphony Orchestra performed four of Queen’s best hits in medley: “We Will Rock You,” “Keep Yourself Alive,” “We Are the Champions,” and “You’re My Best Friend.”

While the orchestra struck their strings, blew their flutes and horns away at the works of one of the greatest rock bands in history, conductor Franz Anton Krager faced the audience during several well-known parts of the songs and urged them to sing along.

Other notable performers included The Jazz Orchestra, who welcomed the audience as the opening act with “Ya Gotta Try Harder,” a piece written by Sammy Nestico.

The composition of the song is full of swinging throughout, with several openings for piano and bass guitar solos to embrace the ambiance even more and gave off a mellow, yet electrifying vibe and sound.

This was a well-executed opening to the concert and set the bar for the night.

When the Moores School Steel Band performed “Trinidad Blue Basin” and “Flag Woman”, the members were not wearing a traditional tuxedos and black dress.

Their attire of Hawaiian shirts, short khaki pants and beach apparel mirrored their choice of songs — tunes that emitted a playful Caribbean sound.

It was almost as though the audience was given a little taste of what it is like to be on the beaches of the Bahamas or Cancun.

While the members drummed on manette steel pans, their synchronized dancing and shouts of enthusiasm moved the crowed to the point where they clapped along to the music.

With the screen backdrop showing beach water flowing endlessly along the screen, this performance easily became a crowd favorite and was arguably the best act of the night.

The Spirit of Houston Marching Band brought the concert to a close with a performance of “The Stars and Stripes Forever.”

The sound of the fast-paced drum line, the honking tunes of trumpets, tubas and clarinets created an atmosphere that ignited Cougar Pride in the audience members.

If you did not enjoy one performance, something else was there to chime you right back in.

As Collage was merely a glimpse of what is to come, one has to wonder what other surprises Moores has in store for the University this fall.