Soccer

Cougars try to build first winning streak

The Cougars will look to continue their recent offensive success when they take on Houston Baptist at Sorrels Field on Wednesday.

Coming off their first win of the season, a 9-0 rout of Texas Southern, the Cougars (1-5-0) will be looking to extend their success.

Head coach Susan Bush said she is looking forward to a competitive game against the Huskies (4-4-0) and looking for further improvement from her squad.

“We need to be perfect in the details,” Bush said. “The first touch, how they receive the pass, which foot they’re playing the ball to, and things like that.”

HBU is coming off a 3-0 loss to Stephen F. Austin. The Huskies have had little trouble scoring this season, registering 10 goals in eight games.

Senior forward Jessica Zavalza said that she has confidence going into the match despite UH’s struggles.

“We can do this,” Zavalza said. “The previous games were tough but we can do this and we have definitely proved that.”

The Cougars have shown improvement each game as the season draws on.

Early on in the season they were not getting quality scoring opportunities. Entering the seventh contest of the non-conference schedule, the Cougars are looking like a much more polished team. The Cougars are now creating scoring chances, and as shown against TSU, they have the potential to finish them.

The challenge for the Cougars now is to put the finishing touches on a work in progress.

Bush said she believes that the success of Friday’s match against TSU will help their cause.

“We have to build on what we did well and sharpen up on some things that we haven’t taken care of,” Bush said.

Wednesday’s match kicks off at 7 p.m. at Sorrels Field.