Staff Editorial

In this drying time, fire prevention is key

Texas continues to smoulder. In the midst of a record heat wave and the worst single-year drought in the state since 1895, conditions couldn’t be more perfect for wildfires to spread across the state’s vast landscape.

Fires have decimated more than 3.6 million acres of land across Texas; six of the 10 most detrimental wildfires in state history have happened in 2011. Bastrop county has been hit particularly hard. Almost 54 square miles of the county — roughly 25 percent — has burned this year. Bastrop State Park is almost non-existent. More than 95 percent of the park has been scorched by flames.

Houston is not fireproof, either. Firefighters worked through the night Tuesday trying to extinguish a fire that started in west Houston’s George Bush Park. At its peak, the fire was more than a mile wide, according to the Houston Chronicle. The fire has now been contained for the most part, but the damage is already done. Although representatives from the Houston Fire Department were confident no evacuations are necessary, these fires can happen all across Texas, and they spread rapidly.

To make matters worse, volunteer fire departments, which protect 75 percent of the state from wildfires like these, have had their budgets slashed to $7 million from $23 million. So not only are the fires spreading rapidly, but most of the state is not currently being funded for a large-scale firefighting effort.

There is some good news, though. Fires like these are somewhat preventable. The fire in George Bush Park likely started near a roadway, according to the HFD.

If you are a smoker, make sure you do not flick your cigarette butts out the window near patches of dry grass. Water conservation is also key — without adequate supplies, firefighters are battling an ever-increasing uphill battle.

Pay attention to your surroundings, too. If you see a fire sprout up, do not hesitate to call 911 before it becomes unmanageable. The best defense in fire prevention is an early warning.