Soccer

Cougars beat HBU with first shutout of season

Senior forward Jessica Zavalza has scored a goal in each of the Cougars’ last three games. She leads UH with five goals on the year. | Aaron Cisneros/The Daily Cougar

The Cougars defeated HBU 1-0 Wednesday at Sorrels Field.

After dropping the first five matches of the season, the Cougars (2-5-0) have now won back-to-back games.

“I feel good because we won, and that’s all that matters,” senior forward Jessica Zavalza said.

“We all worked together. It doesn’t take one person.”

The Cougars were held scoreless in the first half, but Zavalza put UH ahead with a goal in the 47th minute.

Zavalza leads UH with five goals on the season.

“There was a clear difference between the first half and the second half,” head coach Susan Bush said. “During the second half we were competing more, little bit more aggressiveness and bite.”

The Cougars gave themselves more chances to score than in previous matches, shooting 20 times, seven of which were on goal.

Bush said the Cougars need to work on taking advantage of those chances.

“To be more competitive is definitely a good thing,” Bush said.

“We need to be more productive with our chances.”

The Cougars’ defense was strong.

Sophomore Cami Koski started at goalkeeper for the Cougars and earned her first shutout of the season with seven saves.

The Cougars next face Louisiana-Lafayette at 6 p.m. Friday at Robertson Stadium.

Bush said that she expects a tough match as the team continues to build off of its recent success.

“We feel good since we won our previous game,” Zavalza said. “It’s building our confidence. We’re getting stronger as a team.”

Additional reporting by Pedro Pinto.