Cross Country

Weather forces UH to compete in surprise Oklahoma meet

Inclement weather conditions caused a cancellation to the Missouri Southern Stampede in Joplin, Mo.

In place of it the Cougars competed in an unplanned dual-meet against the defending Conference USA Champion, Tulsa on Saturday.

“Our team was excited to run against some great competition at Missouri Southern,” head coach Ryan Turner said in a release.

“Unfortunately Mother Nature didn’t cooperate. I’d like to thank the staff at Missouri Southern for inviting us up to participate and to coach Gulley of Tulsa for putting together a great impromptu dual competition.”

For the men’s team, senior Wesley Ruttoh was the top UH finisher of the four-mile race, finishing in 19 minutes, 7 seconds. Junior Yonas Tesfai placed third with a split of 19:27 and David Smith finished in 11th place in a time of 19:59.

The women’s race was a two-mile course. Senior Megan Munoz was the top finisher for the Cougars, placing in fifth in 11:02. Junior Kathryn Ducommun placed eighth in 11:14, and senior Starla Garcia ran a split of 11:50 — good for 11th place.

Several Cougars stayed behind at the Rice Invitational on Friday. With a 5K course, freshman Anthony Coleman was the top male performer for UH, placing 47th in 18:20.

The women’s course was a 4K, and Ciera Johnson senior Johnson earned 57h place clocking in at 16:28.