Cougars unite to support gay equality

Dozens of students lined up in front of the M.D. Anderson Memorial Library to form a human rainbow as a symbol of their support for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, questioning, intersex and asexual rights. | Mary Curtis/The Daily Cougar

Students crowded tables piled with stacks of green, yellow, orange, red, purple and blue shirts in front of the M.D. Anderson Memorial Library on Monday to spread the message proudly emblazoned by their text, “Gay? Fine By Me.”

The free shirts were part of an initiative celebrating National Coming Out Day, a holiday that commemorates the Gay and Lesbian rights march on Oct. 11, 1987, in Washington, D.C. Since 1994, October has been the National Coming Out month for the LGBT community.

At UH, the festivities were celebrated with a rainbow of colors.

“The LGBT community tends to be invisible,” said Lorraine Schroeder, the director of the UH LGBT Resource Center. “National Coming Out Day raises awareness that there are a lot of gay people and allies on campus.”

As students walked toward the grassy area collecting freebies and information, many recognized the significance of the event.

“It’s a way for the LGBT community to unite on campus,” said Brook Sell, a business sophomore. “A day where we are able to celebrate our coming out to ourselves in society.”

He wished positive thoughts for students who were unable to attend and might be struggling with their sexuality.

“Be proud, love yourself and know that you are not alone,” Sell said.

For Ashley Nwokedi, a sophomore studying education and nursing, the event created an atmosphere of acceptance.

“There are curious people that want to know about the LGBT community,” Nwokedi said. “If they can see how happy and comfortable we are with ourselves, then maybe they can come out and understand that there are people here to support them.”

Students were not the only ones attending the event, as many faculty and staff visited to show their pride and support.

“We were in the closet as an institution — and we are finally coming out,” said Guillermo de los Reyes, an associate professor of women’s gender and sexuality studies.

He said this was a step forward for the community that promotes the understanding, tolerance and acceptance of diversity at UH.

“It confirms we are diverse, and a group that is part of that umbrella,” he said.

Other organizations that came to show their support and awareness included the Montrose Counseling Center, UH Counseling and Psychological Services and Gamma Rho Lambda, a campus sorority established as a support system for LGBTQIA female students.

In a display of solidarity, visitors donning the colorful giveaway gathered in the center of the grassy area in single-file lines arranged by shirt color. The result was a vibrant human rainbow flag that was photographed for UH memory.

Students cheered and jumped with excitement as they formed the flag, while students yelled school spirit chants and held their Coog signs high in the air.

• When it comes down to Gay Rights. It's all about money. Gays are the only people who go around flaunting their sexuality.
    Gays have been around for all time. And its an insult to society to tell people that you are gay … they know.

• I see heterosexuals flaunting their sexuality every single day. It's all over TV, the internet, magazines, school, work, and everyday life. Every day is straight pride day. You're against one small day dedicated to allowing the LGBT community to feel comfortable about themselves, and being able to know that people out there support them? And just how is it an insult to come out to people? I see no problem there.

• How are gay rights all about money? You're allowed to have an opinion, but you should really support it. Also, there are many people who are gay that you would never suspect. It's not like we all walk around in high heels and z-snap people.

• Also. I feel that it is wonderful that people have enough courage to support the LGBT community , and as a straight person I feel that it is my duty to give all of my love and celebration to this community, because we can not call ourselves evolved if we hang on to ignorance.

• Rufus, I'm still having a hard time figuring out how money plays into this. And as far as being able to tell that someone is gay – how can you be sure? You are assuming that all of them fit the same stereotypes. And why is this insulting to society? Do you mean to tell us that you disagree with the notion that all youth should be able to live in an environment free from harassment and discrimination and that they should actually have a future to look forward to? What is truly insulting is throwing around baseless claims such as "It's about money." You have not even explained what on earth money has to do with this. It is an insult to society to flaunt your ignorance.

• Great kudos to these Coogs and equality.

@Rufus:

Seriously? It sure looks like these students profited well from the demonstration. No wait, they're just voicing their oppression from a society of folks like you and your ignorance and asking simply for humility.

Take your bigotry elsewhere. Start with Fox News. They have plenty of your kind.

• It's called disposable cash, Missy, and we have more of it because our government, in its infinite wisdom, won't let us waste it on things such as child-rearing costs, and expenses associated with matrimonial duties (oddly wise, actually, considering the U.S. divorce rate and costs,) which my straight peers spend with impunity. So instead of changing diapers, and later worrying about my daughter's boyfriend, I change cocktails on the cruise ship and worry about my dog's coat shine. And you're right, one practically has to go to Memorial Park in the back woods to find a straight couple kissing, what with all those mobs of homos running curbside in their jogging outfits .

• Alex – you bring up an excellent point. Legalizing gay marriage would be an excellent form of economic stimulus. Weddings are a multi-billion dollar industry. Increasing revenues in this industry by 10% (an estimate I've heard regarding the % of gays in population(apologies if I'm off)) would benefit thousands of American owned small businesses (caterers, banquet hall owners, the people who rent those stupid linens, etc… – can't offshore these). I wish the gay community would bring this argument up to all the republicans who claim to "support small business."
    Signed – a straight, married, fiscal conservative (who doesn't work in the wedding industry)

• Bauer: — We've been making this economic argument ad nauseam ad infinitum. It always gets eclipsed by the moral issue: that queers corrupt the youth, are perverts who lurk in mens rooms and are compelled to fornicate in public parks., etc, Just ask any Christian whose seen Pat Robertson or his evangelizing brethren. Only they know the TRUTH. Ergo America fears / hates us. So we either march en mass and chant goofy slogans, or shlep off to have drinks to douse the angst and end up buying antiques and raising silly little dogs. Although I am a cat person, thank you. And married, if you ask my cats — but please don't. As presidents are wont to do, they will toss us a crumb, feeling satisfied they have kept their campaign promise, neverminding the fact that, in fact, they have compromised the shit out of it. So, year by year, it is inch by inch. At this rate, by the time I'm dead, I can marry. I better make sure my best tux is pressed. Who wants to date an ugly corpse?