Academics & Research

Speaker gives insight into design at Architecture lecture

An industrial designer gave a lecture highlighting what a designer needs to keep in mind when constructing a product on Thursday at Hines Theater.
Lisa Krohn spoke about “The Ten Commandments of Design” in the third part of a series of lectures hosted by the Gerald D. Hines College of Architecture this semester. She described criteria in her field like function, originality and the employment of hierarchy.
Krohn shared her experience and described how designers provide essential services. As a designer, she explained her drive that motivates her practice.
“As designers, we are not just doing this as artists for ourselves, but in service to someone, something or cause, and they all have different dreams and aspirations; it is our job to translate that,” Krohn said.
With the level of technology rising, Krohn said, it is a designer’s task to make a product user friendly and attractive. She cited the iPhone as a successful example because its slim, polished look has attracted a wide market.
As a branding strategist as well, Krohn demonstrated how she transformed a struggling company by reinventing their brand with the use of logos.
Miguel Acevedo, an architecture freshman and attendee of Krohn’s lecture, knows the advantages that these guest speakers provide.
“I try to take advantage of these lectures, I want to see what professionals are doing in the field now and how can I relate,” Acevedo said.
An administrator at the University said that they try to balance the offerings of the architecture and design programs, attempting to find a fit as to who can lecture. They give a range to the sequences of lectures that can be beneficial to students who have different concentrations at the University.
Krohn closed the lecture with a quote by the late Steve Jobs, co-founder and chief executive of Apple Inc., which she said was always very inspirational to her:
“Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice,” Jobs said. “And, most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.”