UC shows off its CLASSiest students

If you find yourself by the University Center today, you’ll most likely be in the hustle and bustle of the second Instant CLASSic event.

The event is the brainchild of Ryan Johnson and Mike Nguyan, both students in the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences.

After a visit with the administration, the duo was conferred a small grant to spearhead their providential designs, which manifested in an inaugural event last October.

The idea came after a great deal of questioning. Johnson and Nguyan found themselves asking why there wasn’t a day devoted to integrating our college, showing off our best, nationally and internationally recognized faculty, students and organizations.

That led to the first Instant CLASSic.

“The (first) event took place last October and had a good turn out,” creative writing major Ryan Johnson said. “It wasn’t until this semester that we became a group (CLASS COOGS).”

Johnson said that this year’s event showcases 27 majors, minors and student organizations.

“The goals are to increase the presence of the college on campus,” said Johnson. “(And) raise the pride about the college and start a tradition.”

Another issue was the general seclusion and isolation of the departments from one another.

“History students hang out with history students, psychology students hang out with other psychology students,” said Nguyen in a press release. “What most students do not realize is that at one point or another, they have been a part of CLASS.”

Johnson felt that the best way to bring together the 12,000 students that make up CLASS is to show everyone what they have in common.

“We are an asset to the University and felt too quiet and unorganized on campus, we wanted to do something about it,” said Johnson.

The event offers the opportunity for students to gather and meet other students in all of the different majors of CLASS.

Johnson notes that the event benefits UH by increasing the visibility of CLASS on campus by creating an event that helps the college define itself.