Administration Campus Football Nation News Sports

Board of Regents gives Khator power to negotiate with other conferences

Director of Athletics Mack Rhoades would not comment on the possibility of UH conference realignment. I Yulia Kutsenkova/The Daily Cougar

In a unanimous vote by the UH Board of Regents, Chancellor Renu Khator was granted the authority to make conference affiliation decisions on behalf of the University.

“The climate in college athletics is incredibly fluid, and we have full confidence in our Chancellor to make decisions that best position our university for national competitiveness and continued success,” UHS Board of Regents chairperson Nelda Luce Blair said.

“We have Authorized Chancellor Khator to evaluate opportunities and options that may become available to the University of Houston, with the understanding that any change in our conference affiliation must match our Tier One aspirations.”

According to Blair, the vote gives Khator the ability to “negotiate on the University’s behalf for the best terms with a conference yet to be named.”

The board deliberated for about 90 minutes before a decision was reached.

“It’s a very thoughtful board. There are no followers on this board, just leaders,” Blair said.

Neither Blair, nor Director of Athletics Mack Rhoades, publicly acknowledged whether or not the University is actively engaged in talks with another conference.