Soccer

Win and they’re in; UH battles Rice for playoff berth

With their postseason fate still undecided, the Cougars take the field Friday at Robertson Stadium to play Rice on Senior Night for their final regular season game.

The Cougars (6-11-1, 3-6-1 Conference USA) are in control of their fate. Sitting at ninth in the C-USA standings with 10 points, UH needs a victory  to qualify for the C-USA championship playoffs. With a win, worth three points, UH would be moved into a tie with Rice (10-7-2, 4-5-1 C-USA), who is ranked seventh with 13 points. UH would own the tiebreaker due to the head-to-head regular season’s result and qualify for the post-season tournament held in Memphis, Tenn.

Head coach Susan Bush felt confident about her squad heading into Friday’s contest.

“As long as we bring the effort, we can compete with anyone,” Bush said.

Rice is coming off a 1-0 loss to Marshall on Sunday, their second consecutive defeat. But despite the recent struggles, the Owls have posted impressive numbers both offensively and defensively.

The Cougars will have their hands full with sophomore forward Jessica Howard, who leads Rice in points with eight goals and two assists. Freshman Amy Czyz has provided solid goaltending for Rice with six shutouts on the year.

Prior to Friday night’s kickoff, UH will be honoring seniors Ryan Bruz, Stephanie Derieg, Lisa Murer and UH leading goal-scorer Jessica Zavalza as the game marks their final opportunity to lace up their cleats at Robertson Stadium.

The action kicks off at 7p.m. Friday.