Staff Editorial

Remembering Andrew Taylor

Today, Houston is a less vibrant city. There is a hole in the heart of The Daily Cougar; our former opinion editor and UH alumnus, Andrew Taylor, died on Saturday. He was 23.

On Saturday morning, Andrew had an accident while cycling with a group of friends. According to a blog post on spacecitycycling.com by Crystal Haddock, Andrew fell off his bike and was hit by a pickup truck. He was lifeflighted, but unfortunately passed away.

Andrew was a great man, dedicated coworker and an amazing friend. He always had a smile on his face and never turned a friend down. If you were having a bad day, Andrew would ask what was bothering you — he made time for everyone.

His love for life was infectious. Andrew loved to try new things, and nothing stopped him from appreciating everything around him. Whether he was working as a barista, editing a story or just socializing, Andrew brought joy wherever he went.

Humor was no stranger to Andrew. His hats were the stuff of legend; whether it was a fedora, a knitted panda hat or a beret, he was always wearing something hilarious. He didn’t care what others thought of his eclectic fashion sense — if he wanted to wear suspenders and a vest, then that is what he very well did.

Few people were as smart as him, and the few people who tried to debate with him retreated quickly; he had the facts and the logic to tear down all but the best arguments. As an opinion editor and an economics major, he was always one of the brightest people in the room.

At times like this, the world seems cold and dark. No one deserves to be torn away so abruptly — least of all a person as caring as Andrew.

The Daily Cougar wants to send our heartfelt condolences to the Taylor family and to all of Andrew’s friends. A-Tay, we love you, we miss you, and we will never forget you. You changed our lives.

• Andrew selected this quote as his favorite and placed it on his Facebook profile page.

How completely appropriate and inspiring!
    ::
    "I believe that if, at the end of it all, according to our abilities, we have done something to make others a little happier, and something to make ourselves a little happier, that is about the best we can do. To make others less happy is a crime. To make ourselves unhappy is where all crime starts. We must try to contribute joy to the world. That is true no matter what our problems, our health, our circumstances. We must try. I didn't always know this, and I am happy that I lived long enough to find it out." R. Ebert

Source: https://www.facebook.com/andrew.taylor1?sk=info

• I am so saddened by this news. Andrew was recently the president of our student economics club and a student in two of my economics classes. His smile and sincere caring attitude were both truly unforgettable. We will all miss him.
    –Dr. Rebecca Achee Thornton

• Things I will always remember:
    Your relentless defense of Lady Gaga in a newsroom full of haters.
    The way you went out of your way to engage me in conversation…especially that one time you asked me which guy celebrity was hot–just so that I could get in on the chat with all you straight boys.
    The way your heart broke that one time and we all wanted to know how to make you better.
    You kerning your copy to +50 those first few weeks of Summer 2010–and driving everyone mad! LOL
    That great laugh.
    That fantastic smile.
    That warm heart.

You were one in a million, amigo…and this world definitely needs more people like you.
    Wish we could have spent more time together. <3

Rest in peace, A-Tay.

• ATay,

You left a little too early, a little too soon and a little too young.
    But in that time, you made things count, and made all of us a little bit happier.
    And that's all that matters.

Rest peacefully.

"All the glory when He took our place
    But He took my shoulders and He shook my face
    And He takes and He takes and He takes."

• Only met him once, but he seemed like a great guy. Always regretted not getting to know him more. My condolences to his family.

• I was recruited by Andrew my senior year to write for the Daily Cougar, an honor I will always be thankful for. Although I only shared a class with Andrew and only knew him for a short while, he left a lasting impression on my life. I can only imagine what pain the Taylor family is going through right now. What a truly sad event. The Taylor family and Andrew are in my thoughts.

• I did not know him long, and I did not know him well, but he had an infectious smile that could light up any room. He was a great person and he will be missed deeply.

• Andrew,

I wish you were still here. I have been looking back on old pictures and remembering the fun times and sleepovers in high school. You were so kind, in the truest sense. I will miss you greatly.

• Our hearts and thoughts go out to the family of Andrew Taylor..may God grant them the fortitude to bear the lost of a Gem.

• Everybody will remember him for the remarkable person that he is. I used to see him everyday at work and it will be hard to get used to him not being there. We will all miss you greatly.

• This is just incredibly sad…
    I met Andrew Taylor a few times in the newsroom. I enjoyed chatting with the few times that I got to. He seemed like one of the genuinely nice guys that brightened everyone's day. You don't find those guys often.
    My condolences and prayers go out to his family and close friends…
    As my friend Jack Wehman said, "Life is so damn short…"
    And I have no response…

• I used to work with Andrew a couple years ago, I couldn't believe this when I read it, but thank you to the Daily Cougar for letting me know what happened. Andrew deserved so much more than 23 years. This is the most painful reminder to live each day to it's fullest. And it's funny, I can't help but wonder what Andrew would have to say, as he always had something. I wish we could ask him.

• Our deepest condolences to the family and friends of Andrew. Your grief fills our soul with prayers. It is our hope you find peace in the joy he brought your lives even though it was only for a short time. You will see him again. Until them, we pray for you.

• Andrew, you always meant what you said, because you always did what you said. I tip my hat as a tribute to your genuine love for people. You don't have to worry about us, because your spirit will always be with us, just like our spirit we always be with you. The world is a better place because of you, because you made us better. You were a hero, yet you were one of us. When we look up and see the stars shining upon us, we know that is you watching and all we have to do is look up. Rest in peace my brother.

• Dearest Andrew,

It is only through your passing that I am being introduced to your earthly journey. I can see how your life contributed so much to so many, how your words enlightened, your smile brightened and how your presence made others feel better just by being around you. You gave more than your time, you gave your whole soul to whatever you were pursuing. Although your time was brief, you were present & passionate….so many of us are too afraid to live our lives with the courage to speak up. Yet, you voiced your opinions, shared your wisdom and influenced many who will never have the pleasure of meeting you on earth. Andrew, you may not be physically able to text me from where you are, but I feel your presence! I am inspired by your life & it makes me want to be a better person for my remaining time.

I believe you are at peace. From the words above, your main concern would probably be how your departure is affecting others. You seem to be the kind of person who would try to comfort them, you would try to take away their pain.

Andrew, it is evident, your life contributed JOY, LAUGHTER & COMPASSION. You made a meaningful difference and left this chaotic cosmos better than before you graced us. Now, it is our turn to give back. In your honor, from your example, if we can make the world a little sweeter, spread a few drops of joy, offer a smile to a stressed out fellow traveler, take a moment to truly listen, a second to see beyond the smokey surface….if we can, as Andrew did, if we can be the kind of genuine, authentic, connected, caring person that Andrew was, then we can serve his memory proudly.

Thank you, Andrew….thanks for opening my eyes as well as my heart. You were a fearless, courageous leader who helped guide us in the right direction. Funny how your light is so strong that you are still continuing to do this for us! You ARE loved, Andrew!

• You recruited me for The Daily Cougar because you recognized that a voice like mine was underrepresented. You stood up for me when I offended the bigots with my opinions. You faced a lot of disgusting rhetoric and criticism for it, but you still stuck to your belief in free speech. You enriched our classroom conversations and I always learned something new from you.

Rest in peace Andrew. The world is a worse place without people like you in it.