Administration

Student fee meetings begin

The Student Fees Advisory Committee, which recommends the amount and funding distribution of the student services fee, will have its first hearing for fiscal year 2013 at 8:30 a.m. today in the University Center’s Bluebonnet Room. Additional hearings will follow on Wednesday, Friday and Monday.

Through the series of hearings this fall, each student-funded organization and department will present their funding requests to the SFAC, after which the committee will decide on which requests to approve. The committee will also determine whether to maintain or change the student services fee for Fall 2012.

The current student services fee is $190, a price that was chosen because of cuts in state funds and improvements made toward Tier One status.

The SFAC consists of seven voting student representatives, two voting faculty members and a non-voting adviser that meet every semester. Five of the student representatives come from the Student Government Association.

Each hearing has time allotted for public comment. Students can voice their opinions through their student government representative or directly speak to the SFAC at the public forums.

After the Monday hearing, the SFAC will have closed-door deliberations and will then present a finalization of recommendations to the president and vice president of student affairs.

In the spring, the president and vice president for student affairs will present the finalization to the UH Board of Regents. After the Board’s approval, each unit’s funding requests will go into effect next fall in September 2012, the beginning of fiscal year 2013.

Each fiscal year lasts for the duration of one academic year.

Organizations funded through student fee include the Dean of Students Office, the University Center, Frontier Fiesta, the New UC Project and the Vice President of Student Affairs Office, as well as the Student Publication Committee, which heads The Daily Cougar.

• I hope there is a piece about what each student org asks for. Reading some of the SFAC reports online shows some really stupid requests.