Staff Editorial

Judge who beat daughter should be punished

A Texas judge is in trouble after a video of him allegedly beating his teenage daughter was posted on YouTube. The video, posted by daughter Hillary Adams, allegedly shows County Court-at-Law Judge William Adams cursing, screaming and whipping the then-16-year-old girl repeatedly.

According to Hillary Adams, the video is seven years old. And in a statement made to KRIS-TV, Hillary says that she wants her father to seek help.

William Adams, a Rockport resident, confirmed that he was the person in the video and told KRIS that “I have not done anything wrong other than discipline my child” and that “my life’s been made very difficult over this child.”

The video shows Hillary’s mother and Adams being verbally abusive, and Adams excessively beating his daughter with a belt. Hillary was beaten because she had downloaded games and multimedia content on the family computer — something apparently forbidden in the Adams household.

“Obviously it is a very disturbing video. We in my office as well as everyone on earth is taking a look at it, at this time,” said Aransas County Attorney Richard Bianchi to the Express-News.

We at The Daily Cougar are not experts in parenting; however, recorded footage of a government official issuing excessive corporal punishment to a defenseless child is disturbing.

Even if the incident happened more than five years ago, that should not take away of the severity of Adams’ actions.

Some may argue this is a case of an abused child seeking revenge against her father by sabotaging his career — others may say it is a legitimate cry for help.

Regardless of why the video was posted and heavily circulated on the Internet, Adams deserves some type of punishment.

There are some who would argue that spanking is an appropriate way of disciplining a child, but those who do usually are not captured on camera. This video shows a man who is in charge of delivering justice administering something far from that.

• he needs the same thing done to him. beat him with a belt until he really feels regret for all his actions. then put a bullet thru his head. we dont need people like that anyways.

• "Hillary was beaten because she had downloaded games and multimedia content on the family computer — something apparently forbidden in the Adams household." The information presented is incorrect here. It was illegal games and multimedia that was downloaded. So it would be against the law in any household. Please check any recent news story and the information is there.

• illegal games, that does not constitute the beating of an inoccent child like this. there was a reason this child had a camera set up in her room/? I am sure this beating was only the tip of the iceburg.
    He should be punished for his child abuse..

• This so called "judge" should be prosecuted for child abuse and be stripped of whatever placement he had in the judicial system. Also, for my own personal satisfaction, I agree that he should be shot.

• If this were blackman and women they would be in jail NOW!!! I seen and blackwomen get arrested for yelling at her hard headed son in the mall. My neighbor gave his son a spanking and left a small bruise, he was arrested and the kid is still in foster care a year later. What a double standard…white folks can beat thier kids. Soon as blacks or latinos beat their kids her comes CPS, the police, the media, the school, etc.

• More kids should get there ass beat . Thats the problem with these kids no disciplin. We all got are ass beat back in the day. Parents should be parents an not friends. Good job judge wish moore parents were like u..

• By the time a child has passed the age of about 10, spanking with a belt will be counterproductive. It's also dead-on humiliating. This girl was 16! That is waaaay beyond any appropriate age to be using a belt for discipline.

• We often hear from those who fight to uphold this practice for those under the age of 18 (even to the blaming of the social maladies of the day on a supposed "lack" of it), but we rarely, if ever, find advocates for the return of corporal punishment to the general adult community, college campuses, inmate population, or military. Why is that?

Ask ten unyielding proponents of child/adolescent/teenage-only "spanking" about the "right" way to do it, and what would be abusive, indecent, or obscene, and you will get ten different answers.

These proponents should consider making their own video-recording of the "right way" to do it.

Visit Unlimited Justice/Parents and Teachers Against Violence in Education to learn more and add your voice.

• I love how there's dozens of people frothing at the mouth saying the judge should get beaten and shot. What logical, impartial minds you all have.

None of you have even stopped to realize that the statute of limitations expired a year or two ago, so nothing's going to happen to him. None of you dug into why the girl waited 5 years to upload the video, none of you took an objective look at the situation. You just let those emotions get a hold of you and that makes you no better than the judge.

• Funny how this video poped up when she was told that she was not getting her Mercedes any more along with other "financial" support from her father at the age of 23. Sounds like a spoiled brat to me.

Next question is where do you draw the line? What is a "child abuse" and "beating" is and can be subjective, not objective to a certain extent. Though it may appear that this just proves that corporal punishment may not work on spoiled rotten children.

• for him to go unpunished is deplorable. If nothing else becomes of it because, he is a white judge, he at least should be disbarred. This was her only defense, to expose him for what he is worth. If nothing else becomes of it my only hope is that this will bring to mind for him "child abuse" apples to him also.