Recipes: Vegan Pozole
For the cool weather to come, nothing beats a nice hot bowl of soup, great for lunch or dinner and — most importantly — won’t cost you an arm and a leg.
- 2 quarts Vegetable Stock
- 2 Medium White Onions, diced
- 3 Garlic cloves, minced
- 3 lbs Calabasa squash, diced
- 2 cans(30 oz) of fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 cans (30 oz) White Hominy
- 3 dried Ancho Chilies, chopped
- 4 Tbsp Achiote paste dissolved in 1 cup of water
- 3 Serrano peppers
- 1 bunch of Cilantro, chopped
- 1 head of Cabbage, shredded
- Heat up a medium stock pot then begin to sweat onions and garlic.
- Once onions are translucent add the Achiote, Serrano, and Ancho chilies to the pot stirring for about 5 minutes until the Ancho chilies have rehydrated.
- Add the hominy, tomatoes, squash, and stock and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes covered or until hominy is tender.
- Finally add the cilantro and allow to simmer for another 10 minutes uncovered, then serve with a nest of cabbage on top.
- You can easily substitute beef or chicken for the squash, I would suggest using chuck roast and chicken thighs.
- For added heat, I like to add about two tablespoons of Sriracha hot sauce.
- Achiote paste can be found in markets like Fiesta.