Administration

Student Affairs reorganized

Vice Chancellor/Vice President for Student Affairs J. Richard Walker announced the reorganization of the Division of Student Affairs in an email to all full-time employees of the division after business hours on Friday.

“As we work together to create a Tier One Division of Student Affairs, it is important the organizational structure of the division be appropriately aligned to provide outstanding programs and services to encourage student engagement and learning in support of student success,” Walker said. “As a result, we have made some changes in our divisional leadership structure and realigned units/departments and functional areas of responsibility.”

Among the changes is the creation of an associate vice chancellor/associate vice president for student affairs position that would oversee multiple programs including the University Career Services, Student Success Initiatives and Strategic Planning. The position has not yet been filled.

The new organization will also add an assistant vice president for student affairs — health and wellness position, that will oversee the Counseling and Psychological Services, the UH Health Center, Campus Recreation and UH Wellness.

The assistant vice president for student affairs — student life position, which was formerly assistant vice president for student development will report directly to Walker.

This position previously reported to associate vice chancellor/associate vice president for student development. Student media will also be moved under this position.

Other changes include a reorganization of responsibilities and title changes.

When contacted Sunday afternoon, Walker was unavailable to comment.

• This is great news for the University of Houston. Finally, someone with a sense of student centered intelligence at the University of Houston.