Men's Basketball Women's Basketball

Cougars capture top players

Hightower High School was the scene of a major recruiting coup for the Cougars on Wednesday for both the men’s and women’s programs.

Highly-touted Hurricanes Danuel House, and twins Taylor and Tyler Gilbert signed their National Letters of Intent to attend and play for the University.

“We chose to play for UH because we really liked the coaching staff,” Tyler Gilbert said.

“It’s not far away from home. It’s perfect.”

House also said that the coaching staff and staying in Houston were important factors in his decision.

House is a 6’7 swingman with an affinity for getting to the hoop.

He is ranked 15th overall in the nation by ESPNU and also received offers from Georgetown, Ohio State, Baylor, Texas, and Kansas.

The men’s team also received a signature from 6’10 forward Danrad “Chicken” Knowles.

Knowles is ranked 56th overall by ESPNU.

Knowles is known for the range on his jump shot and also his ability to handle the ball for his size.

Knowles received offers from Arkansas, Missouri and Baylor.

“These guys are going to help us recruit other players in the future as did the class that came in this year,” men’s head coach James Dickey said. “We must continue to build on this, but there is no doubt in my mind that this class makes a statement about our University and our program.

“We have a special University and a special opportunity for young men to go to school, play basketball and receive a great education. Our task is to build on that.”

The 6’2 Gilberts will help the Cougars rebuild their front line, which lost Courtney Taylor and Lesslee Mason after last season.

Each is known for her shot blocking.

Tyler won District 23-5A Defensive Player of the Year as a junior, averaging 3.3 blocks per game and 7.5 rebounds.

Taylor was not far behind, averaging 2.2 blocks per contest.

The women’s team also netted 6’1 forward Marche Amerson of Rudder High School, point guard Alecia Smith of Cedar Hill High School, and Bianca Winslow, the daughter of Rickie Winslow, a former UH player, who ranks in the top 10 in scoring all-time for UH.

“I’m incredibly excited about this class,” women’s head coach Todd Buchanan said.