Campus

Green expo introduces inventions to Cougars

The UH Green Building Components expo was aimed at teaching students some of the ways the industry is becoming more sustainable. | Paul Crespo/The Daily Cougar

Students had a chance to network with Houston professionals and learn about industry innovations at the third annual UH Green Building Components expo on Thursday.

The Gerald D. Hines College of Architecture, with the support of the Houston Endowment and the Meadows Foundation, showcased green building models from architecture, engineering and construction industries throughout the Houston area.

“The event is mainly between the Architecture College and certain students and companies that are trying to be innovative in the industry of going green,” said Ingrid Camenish, a UH alumnus and event volunteer.

UHGBC was created for companies to share information and technology with students.

UH professors and students were involved in some of the exhibitions.

“We are proud of everything we have worked on,” said Luis Baena, an intern at Brad Seymour Design and a fourth-year architecture student. “We want people to see that the grant money that we received for this sort of investment has gone to incredibly good use to finding details and solid numbers, to where this is a project that, in my eyes, could be built tomorrow.

“To be a designer you are not complete unless you really listen to your surroundings and what’s happening, sort of at the student level.

“They brought me in (Brad Seymour Designs) to learn from them, but at the same time learn from me as far as being open-minded.”

College of Architecture Dean Patricia Oliver also gave special thanks to all the participating firms and underlined the importance of supporting young designers.

Dean Oliver represented the UHBC in the Mayor’s Earth Day Breakfast in April as part of “Showing Houston going Green.”

The Materials Research Collaborative Library was also part of the exhibitions.

The library, which opened this fall, has been an innovative addition of resources for students and architects.

Kirksey, Gensler, Ziegler Cooper and Skanska where some of the firms in attendance among various others.

First-year architecture major Jessica Martinez said that she was glad she could take advantage of the event to learn.

“It helps to look forward to the different projects that are coming up,” Martinez said.

“It gives insight on the requirements for future years of green building.”