Administration

Student Affairs office holds open forums for Health and Wellness Vice President

As part of continuing reorganization efforts, the Division of Student Affairs held open forums on Friday and Monday to find an Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs — Health and Wellness.

Candidates Gail Hudson-Gillan and Floyd Robinson made their cases to University staff for the position, which would be in charge of Campus Recreation, Counseling and Psychological Services, UH Wellness and the Health Center.

Gail Hudson-Gillan brings over 30 years of experience in higher education administration to UH and has served as a licensed clinical social worker for over 20 years. Currently serving as the Director for UH Wellness, Hudson-Gillan has Ph.D in communication from Southern Illinois University and a Master of Science in Social Work from the University of Texas.

Hudson-Gillan said that the first thing she’d do if chosen for the position would be to draw upon the strategic plans set forth by staff and move forward through collaboration.

“I want to know what the other staff are thinking — is that consistent with what I’m thinking?” said Hudson-Gillan.

“I’d like to have some conversations (with staff) that weren’t limited by what we can do… Talk about what their real vision is, what they see as the obstacles, goals, what the strengths and weaknesses are ,” said Hudson-Gillan.

She also said that it was necessary to create a plan that cuts across all areas.

“I need to get it by everyone. They’ve got to believe that this is where we’re going. We have to get out of silos and start working together and collaborating. That’s an important first part,” Hudson-Gillan said.

Floyd Robinson has served as director of the UH Health Center since 1994, and brings administrative experience from his time as an administrator at the Memorial Herman Wellness Center and the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center. Robinson holds a bachelor’s degree in English and speech from Shippensburg University.

Robinson said his goal, if selected, would be to unify the division by removing many of the segregating barriers that separate each part of Health and Wellness and drawing upon established employees to build a strong organization.

“It will behoove whoever is selected for this position to work within those four organizations to break down some of the silos that I think may exist,” Robinson said. “We are all experts in our field. I think if we were to combine our forces we could be even better experts for the university community at large.”

“We pay thousands of dollars to bring people onto our campus from other universities and the outside world when indeed next door we have people who are equally capable,” Robinson said.

The office of student affairs will make its final decision as to who will be named to the position by the end of December.