Music

‘Say Revenge’ say hello to new adventure

After their show at Super Happy Fun Land, San Antonio band Say Revenge swung by Houston hotspot Tacos A Go-Go before continuing on to California. | Courtesy of Say Revenge

Most bands tend to stay together when they venture off into new territory, but San Antonio-based Say Revenge is going another route.

Following their first tour stop at Houston’s Super Happy Fun Land on Saturday night, the band trekked onwards to California where they are slated to play a slew of shows including the first tonight in San Diego.

Once those shows are over, however, lead singer Christina Rodriguez is planning on setting up residence in the City of Angels to further build a base for herself and the band.

“The entire band is eventually going to move up too,” Rodriguez said. “Everyone needs to plan and adjust for a move to L.A., so it’s not going to happen right away, but I would say soon.”

Rodriguez said that many people have expressed doubt that the band will survive the change, but she has to disagree.

“Many bands (make) it and so will we.”

Judging from the show on Saturday, the band doesn’t look ready to stop performing together.

Rodriguez and guitarist Maria Benavides, bassist Chris Compean and drummer Eddie Gutierrez jammed through a 45-minute set inside the experimental space and, considering the crowd’s response, brought new fans on board.

“We had a great time in Houston playing Super Happy Fun Land,” Rodriguez said. “We played with great bands and made new friends and the hospitality of the venue was awesome.”

Rodriguez and her bandmates will now need to tackle their first shows outside of their home state.

“This is our first tour out of Texas and the total mood is excitement,” she said.

And that excitement should carry the band through until that moment comes when Benavides, Compean and Guitierrez join Rodriguez in LaLa land. Until then, the band’s focus will be on building its base through its music.

The band released its debut album “Rough Night, Sugar?” in September and will promote it until more dates are set in either California or Texas.

“Rough Night, Sugar?” is available on CDbaby or Interpunk. Two singles are available for download on iTunes. For more information on Say Revenge, visit www.sayrevenge.com.