Obituary

Former UH president dies

Charles Bishop served as UH System president from February 1980 to September 1986.  |  File Photo/The Daily Cougar

Charles Bishop served as UH System president from February 1980 to September 1986. | File Photo/The Daily Cougar

UH System President Emeritus Charles Bishop died Jan. 14 in Durham, N.C.

The 80-year-old served as president from February 1980 to September 1986, when he left to pursue a job teaching business and economics at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, an event which The Daily Cougar reported on June 11, 1986.

Upon his retirement in 1986, The Daily Cougar reported his accomplishments as president, which include the following:

The UH System became the third-largest research university in Texas, behind University of Texas and Texas A&M.

The market value of the University’s endowment grew to $57 million from $21.6 million in 1979.

M.D. Anderson Library was ranked as No. 50 in the top research libraries in the country, as opposed to being 81st in 1980 when he was hired.

The UH System’s financial management operations received the highest rating given to education institutions by the state auditor, for five years in a row.

A World War II veteran, Bishop served on numerous commissions under former Presidents Lyndon B. Johnson, Richard Nixon and Jimmy Carter.

He also served on commissions at the state level in North Carolina, said his newsobserver.com obituary.