Women's Basketball

Button steps up in senior season

Senior guard Roxana Button leads the Cougars and Conference USA in scoring at 18.7 points per game. She is also third in free-throw percentage (78 percent) and fifth in 3-pointers made (29). | Joshua Siegel/The Daily Cougar

Quick question, where do you find the Cougars’ leading scorer, Roxana Button, after a grueling day of practice?

If you guessed running extra laps around Hofheinz Pavilion and taking the extra free throw attempts necessary to become a great college basketball player, you would be correct.

Button is averaging 18.7 points per game.

The Cougars have battled injuries all season. Two starters have already been lost for the year, including fellow senior Porsche Landry.

Landry was expected to pair with Button in the backcourt and guide a freshman-laden Cougar squad.

As a junior, she scored 14.8 points per game, helping the Cougars win the Conference USA regular-season title.

Couple the loss of Landry with losing six seniors from last season and the Cougars certainly have a situation to contend with.

The loss of Landry, a C-USA First Team selection, has left a cavern in the backcourt and thrust  a larger role on Button.

Obviously, her performance on the court has drastically increased but out of the public eye, Button has grown into her role as a leader.

In fact, Button believes her leadership and work ethic are her best qualities and have facilitated success on the court.

“I’ve embraced it and take it day-by-day,” Button said. “I just want to do whatever it takes to win.”

Button attributes last season’s NCAA tournament run for helping her grow into being a better leader.

“It helped me gain experience on the intensity it takes to be a leader, which is especially necessary with such a young team this season.

“In the NCAA tournament, the intensity increases immensely — so do the amount of outside distractions. There is no place better to pick up morsels of leadership from those with experience doing so in such a stressful environment.”

Head coach Todd Buchanan agrees.

“It’s her mindset,” he said.

“Everything she does, she gives 100 percent. She never stops.”

Even though results have not matched last season’s, the Cougars’ goals remain the same.

Her attitude and mindset are why Buchanan trusts Button with the keys to his offense. Her job is to make her teammates better and guide a young team through the minor bumps in the season. The entire offense is run through Button according to Buchanan.

As for life after her senior season, Button is an aspiring medical doctor. Button has not yet decided on a medical school destination or a specialty, but has the dedication necessary for the profession.

“I have a passion for helping people and a love for the human body,” she said. “You put those two together and you have a doctor.”

Button can usually be found on the team bus after road games with her nose stuck in an MCAT book.

Soon Button will trade in her sneakers for a white medical coat, and Buchanan doesn’t want to contemplate the thought of Button leaving campus. In life though, as it always does, the future calls and there is no ignore button.