Food

Workshop takes students to task on goals

“Food for Thought,” a series of workshops by UH’s Counseling and Psychological Services, starts today and is focused on helping students work on their 2012 goals.

The first workshop, “Step-by-Step Plan to Setting and Achieving Goals,” will provide students with information about how to identify goals, develop an implementation plan and strengthen their commitment to that plan.

“It’s the perfect topic for the beginning of a semester,” said Kay Brumbaugh, outreach coordinator and psychologist for CAPS.

The workshop takes place from noon to 1 p.m. in the Student Service Center 1 Building conference room 210D.

“Students not only get a chance to see an informative presentation, but also interact and hear concerns or ideas from other participants,” Brumbaugh said.

Many students find it difficult to stick to their goals for new semesters, even after attending this type of workshop. In that case, CAPS offers private consultations for students who need extra help and support.

“It’s also a great opportunity for participants to meet a CAPS clinician and gain information about available CAPS services,” Brumbaugh said.

A variety of topics are available throughout the school year, Brumbaugh said, including “Understanding Depression,” “Communication Among Couples, Managing Anger” and “Dissertation and Thesis Survival”.

It seems as though many students disregard CAPS at UH because they assume that all services require appointments and fees.

“CAPS therapists hold walk-in hours at sites around campus and there is no appointment or fee necessary,” Brumbaugh said.

This is perfect for students not sure if they need services and just want to see what a CAPS therapist might recommend.

Following today’s premiere workshop, subsequent workshops will run every Wednesday this semester until April 25.

“Food for Thought” workshops are always free and registration is not required.

For more information on this and other workshops, visit caps.uh.edu/outreach-food.aspx