Men's Basketball

Green Wave wash away Cougars in blowout loss

Freshman guard Joseph Young led the Cougars with 17 points on 7-13 shooting. He hit the Cougars’ only 3-pointer in their 75-54 loss to Tulane on Saturday. Minus Young, UH was 0-11 from three-point range and 14-38 (37 percent) from the field. Young also added four rebounds and three steals to his stat line. | Brianna Leigh Morrison/The Daily Cougar

Freshman guard Joseph Young scored a team-high of 17 points, grabbed four rebounds and had three steals, but UH could not overcome the Green Wave as the University lost its second-consecutive game Saturday night at Avron B. Fogelman Arena.

The Cougars (11-11, 3-6 C-USA) shot a season-low eight percent from beyond the arc, and managed only 54 points on 21-of-51 shooting from the field.

Tulane started the game on a 19-5 run and extended their lead to as high as 17 points before their potent post attack could be halted by halftime.

Atlanta-native Ricky Tarrant led the Green Wave, scoring a game-high of 21 points, and added five steals. The freshman held UH point guard J.J. Thompson to a quite four points, and led a defensive effort that allowed only 10 fast-break points from the Cougars.

Jonathan Simmons was contained to 10 points in 30 minutes, and shot a combined 4-of-12 with senior Darian Thibodeaux. Simmons committed five costly turnovers, as the Cougars continued to struggle with efficient playmaking.

After being outscored 42-30 in the first half, head coach James Dickey utilized bench players Kirk Van Slyke and Young, receiving 21 points from the pair.

UH will look to recoup Wednesday at Hofheinz Pavilion against Rice for the first of two meetings between teams. Tip off is set for 7 p.m.