Monday, January 30, 2023

Staff Editorial

Students give Tier One stadium green light

It was announced on Thursday that the Athletics Referendum passed on a whopping 4,745-vote margin. With 9,923 total ballots cast, 26.1 percent of the student body was accounted for in making their voices heard on an important issue for the University. This is the largest turn out since 15 percent of students voted in favor of building the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center in 1998.

Whether or not a new stadium and improving Hofheinz are changes you welcome, it’s impressive that so many students actually took the time to vote.

These kinds of results prove that the student body has enough pride in our University that they’re willing to pay for much-needed improvements that will affect UH for years after they walk across the stage.

Student approval for a stadium is much more than just another building on campus — it stands as a testament to Cougar spirit. Among all the improvements that are being made at UH, Tier One athletic teams and facilities will only help in our quest for national recognition as a Tier One university.

Most importantly, a new stadium and a better Hofheinz aren’t changes that will affect us so much as current students, but it’s important that we keep those that follow in our footsteps years from now.

These are improvements that most of us will be able to take full advantage of as alumni, but future students will have a more beautiful campus to enjoy as the University continues to improve its reputation and the caliber of students, faculty and staff members who are proud to call UH home.

Even if this wasn’t something you’re in favor of, a mere $45 increase of student fees per semester will go toward a change that will affect generations of Cougars long after we’re gone — that’s a small price to pay for something that will have a monumental impact on all aspects of our University.

Tags: , , , ,