Theater

Students take leap at auditions

Psychology freshman Gaius Jones, left, auditioned along with psychology sophomores Kristen Rodgers, center, and Kimberly Holiday-Coleman, right, for the Dionysia 2012 production of “Frogs,” a play by Greek playwright Aristophanes.  |  Brianne Leigh Morrison/The Daily Cougar

Psychology freshman Gaius Jones, left, auditioned along with psychology sophomores Kristen Rodgers, center, and Kimberly Holiday-Coleman, right, for the Dionysia 2012 production of “Frogs,” a play by Greek playwright Aristophanes. | Brianna Leigh Morrison/The Daily Cougar

For the past three years, students minoring in the Honors College’s creative works minor have been given the chance to expand their talents and explore what it means to be a part of a city “Dionysia” — a kind of ancient festival where Greek comedy and tragedy were developed.

Auditions were held Jan. 30 and 31 inside the Honors College commons in preparation for the 2012 Dionysia.

The Greek playwright Aristophanes’ “Frogs” will be performed for this year’s festival. The play was adapted by John Harvey, director of the Center for Creative Work, and will debut April 26.

After three years of tragedies, “Frogs” will be the first comedy for the Dionysia.

Students in the creative works minor who enroll in the Honors College course “City Dionysia: Attic Drama in the Modern City” are required to participate as an actor, assist in production or be involved in some fashion with that year’s play.

Dionysia plays are open to all UH students and actors from different universities and throughout the city.

“Dionysia is not just a student production, it’s more than that,” production manager Joana Trojanowski said.

Juliet Childers, a creative writing senior and student in the creative works minor, has been involved in musical theatre for 12 years.

One of her dreams is to be on Broadway and star in a movie.

A part of the original cast of the first Dionysia, “Children of Herakles,” and “Electra,” she enjoys the fact that the auditions are open to those with and without experience and the fact that it is a paid opportunity.

“I want to gain more acting experience, a wider variety of skills and techniques (and) networking opportunities,” Childers said.

She said she is also doing it to have fun.

Natalie Brown, a sophomore honors student studying psychology and human development studies, auditioned for her first Dionysia and is excited about the production.

“When I was in high school, I didn’t really get a chance to get involved in theatre as much as I had liked,” Brown said. “Being here at UH and in the Honors College, I’m taking advantage of all the acting opportunities available to me.”