Softball

Gregson keeps on rolling

In a preseason that has seen the Cougars voted among the nation’s best teams, one Cougar is standing out above the rest.

Senior left fielder Melissa Gregson, the 2011 Conference USA Player of the Year, has been pegged with the same distinction this preseason.

“It’s an honor to be recognized again and still be seen as one of the top players in our league,” Gregson said. “I’m honored, but I also know that we have 56 games to play and we still have a long season ahead.”

Head coach Kyla Holas attributes much of Gregson’s success to her work ethic.

“Anytime you can have a kid who can work like that and is coachable, I think that you’re going to have someone who will have lots of success,” Holas said.

Gregson admittedly isn’t the typical rah-rah leader, but instead prefers to lead by example, setting the tone through her actions.

“Being a senior and a captain, I think that I have a huge leadership role in helping make sure that everybody knows their position, or specific things in hitting,” Gregson said. “But I also know if someone is struggling I can talk to them.

“On the field I know that I have to step up when times get difficult and make sure everybody is making adjustments.”

Gregson said she is not feeling any pressure from being named the best player in C-USA — at least not yet.

“I’ve been making sure that I’ve been checking myself in mentally and not let the things off the field get to me when I’m on the field,” Gregson said. “I’m just going to try and do what’s best for the team”

Last season Gregson was one of the team’s most potent offensive threats. She led the team in home runs (16) and RBI (47) and was among the team leaders in several categories.

Gregson is joined on the preseason all-conference squad by teammate Holly Anderson. Anderson led the Cougars in batting average (.339) and led both the team and the conference in runs scored (41).