Swimming & Diving

UH can’t keep up with Aggies

The Cougars followed strong wins over Conference USA foes Tulane and Rice with a 186-103 loss to No. 6 Texas A&M. Despite the loss, UH had impressive individual performances from Kim Eason and Beccy Hillis.  |  Brianna Leigh Morrison/The Daily Cougar

The Cougars followed strong wins over Conference USA foes Tulane and Rice with a 186-103 loss to No. 6 Texas A&M. Despite the loss, UH had impressive individual performances from Kim Eason and Beccy Hillis. | Brianna Leigh Morrison/The Daily Cougar

In their final tuneup before the Conference USA Championship, the Cougars fell 183-106 to Texas A&M on Friday at the CRWC.

Reigning C-USA Diver of the Week, junior Julia Lonnegren, had a solid performance taking third in the 1M (318.08) and fourth in the 3M (331.28).

Posting season-best marks, freshman Natasha Burgess took fourth in the 1M (314.93) and second in the 3M (339.08). The Cougar divers will most likely compete against the Aggies again in the NCAA championships later this year.

“That was a great squad for us to compete against,” Jane Figueiredo, head diving coach, said. “We did well today, Natasha turned in a huge performance and it’s good to see that performance at this time of year from a freshman.”

Senior Kim Eeson had a strong performance on Senior Day, placing in multiple events. Eeson took first in the 200 free (1:50.14), second in the 100 free (51.34), and second in the 100 fly (57.74).  Her times in the 200 free and 100 fly were season-bests.

Seniors Beccy Hillis and Natalie Newcomb finished second and third, respectively, in the 200 breast with Hillis at 2:22.12 and Newcomb at 2:27.83. Newcomb’s time was her best of the season in the 200 breast.

Despite the loss on Senior Day, the Cougars had encouraging performances against the No. 6 Aggies from the departing seniors, as well as the Cougars’ future leaders.

UH will next host the C-USA Championships from Feb. 15-18.