Music

Famous band to have concert at UH

Student Program Board President Jared Gogets announces the organization’s inaugural show in its “Large Concert” series via microphone as fellow board members unveil the event posters behind him. New York rap-rock outfit Gym Class Heroes are set to play the Cullen Performance Hall on Feb. 23. | Nine Nguyen/The Daily Cougar

After a two-hour set from electronic duo Dr. Seahorse Thursday at the UC, representatives from UH’s Student Program Board, sponsor of the event, made a special announcement to students: rap-rockers Gym Class Heroes are scheduled to perform Feb. 23 at Cullen Performance Hall.

The announcement comes after more than seven months of planning by the SPB concert committee.

“We were given the go ahead for the concert around July of last year,” Brittney Mathis, chair of the committee, said “We went through the preliminary planning stages between July and November in order to choose a performer and a production company. We had a pretty good idea of who we wanted to go with around that time.”

The concert, Mathis said, is a testament to how far the University of Houston has come in just a few years.

“We have never had the resources to put on a show this big, and I think everything we are doing in SPB mirrors the progress of our great university. Tier One is the game we are playing and we aren’t going back, and I think that means a lot to the students.”

The constant comparison of UH to other Texas schools who do have the resources to bring big shows to their campuses meant that students would always ask Mathis why UH couldn’t bring big names to campus.

“I don’t think they will be asking that anymore,” Mathis said. “I think this just shows UH and the students that we are worthy of our Tier One ranking in all aspects.”

Mathis said board members played a big part in picking the performer. The committee started contract negotiations with Gym Class Heroes in mid-December, who were an “obvious choice” for the SPB’s inaugural show of its “large concert” series.

“There’s no denying that they are hot right now and at the top of their game,” Mathis said. “They also appeal to many people.

“That was part of our criteria in picking a band. We needed an act that is just as diverse as the University of Houston, and I believe Gym Class Heroes is unique in that way so it was really a perfect fit.”

The band’s latest album, “The Papercut Chronicles II”, was released in November 2011, which is a follow up to their 2005 album, “The Papercut Chronicles.”

As chair of the committee, Mathis’ job was to plan the event and get it all together, but she said it was really a team effort from the entire SPB, faculty advisors and graduate assistants.

“I love the Student Program Board, and I think this is a huge step in our organization. It’s been a lot of hard work and late nights working on this show, but it will all be worth it on Feb. 23,” Mathis said.

“I’m also honored to have such an incredible band come and play at UH. It’s a little bit surreal that they are actually going to be here soon. I think that having a band that is at the top of their game while we are at the top of our game just proves we are doing something right.”

The concert will be a ticketed event and seating is limited to the first 1,500 current UH students to receive a wristband, which will be handed out at 3 p.m. on the same day of the show, Feb. 23, at Lynn Eusan Park.

Current students must bring UH identification cards. No wristbands will be given to guests, faculty, staff or the general public.

Houston’s own VerseCity will open for the band.