Sunday, April 23, 2017

Fine Arts

Art Across Campus: ‘Wall of Towers’

For the fountain located between the Science and Engineering and Science and Research 1 buildings, American sculptor Jackie Ferrara collaborated with César Pelli, the Argentine-American architect whose more famous designs include some of the tallest buildings in the world, such as the Petronas Towers in Malaysia.

The mural, which is located inside the auditorium lobby of Science and Engineering, was a solo piece by Ferrara that she completed one year later.

The work consists of small Maplewood tiles stained four or five different colors with a mosaic inspiration, depicting a series of skyscrapers, or architecture, around the wall.

“(Ferrara has) always worked with architecture as an inspiration for her work,” UH Curator of Public Art Michael Guidry said. “All of her work throughout her incredibly long career has been about architecture, and presenting it using architectural elements in more of a sculptural way.”  — Alicia Wilson/The Daily Cougar

Tags:

Does the construction along Spur 5, which will eventually impact the U.S. 59 north and south on-ramps from I-45, affect your commute to class?

• Yes, my commute will be dramatically different and much longer (36%, 38 Votes)
    • My commute will be slightly impacted, but it's not too much of a nuisance (29%, 31 Votes)
    • I don't commute/ I never use I-45 or Spur 5 (23%, 24 Votes)
    • I commute but had no idea about the construction (12%, 13 Votes)

Total Voters: 106