Campus

Campus to receive meals on wheels

Starting with the summer semester, UH will have food trucks come to campus to replace dining options that will close during the UC renovation. | Brianna Leigh Morrison/The Daily Cougar

Dining options will change for students once renovations at the University Center begin to take place this spring semester.

Food trucks on campus will help offset the closing restaurants as construction begins, Executive Director of Auxiliary Services Esmeralda Valdez said.

All food service operations at the UC will cease near the end of May.

Administration is planning to have food trucks at the beginning of the summer sessions, Valdez said.

“The University of Houston dining services team in collaboration with the University came up with the idea as a means of continuing to provide for the needs of the community on this side of campus,” Valdez said.

Zhetique Gunn, a civil engineering freshman, said she thinks the food establishments closing will bring complications.

“The lines are going to be terrible,” Gunn said. “I think everyone’s going to go to the Satellite.”

As of now, two vendors are expected and administration is researching available options for other food trucks to come to UH.

“I wasn’t even aware they were doing this,” said Amin Ali, a supply chain and finance senior. “I don’t really eat on campus because I don’t think they have healthy choices, but I’d be open to it if they have vegetarian options.”

Students said the food trucks might pose problems current dining options lack.

“Sanitation issues are important to me,” said Elaine Lam, a human resources development senior. “Is it going to be clean?”

UH Dining Service operations are inspected and enforced with health and sanitation regulations by the fire marshal’s office, which Valdez said will also be applied to the food trucks.

“In addition, UHDS will conduct its own regular inspections and audits,” Valdez said.

The location where the food trucks will conduct business has not been determined, but it will most likely be in front of the UC and to the right of the UC circle, Valdez said.

Another concern students had about the new dining options was whether the food trucks would take Cougar Cash as payment.

“This is under review but it is our intent that they will be able to use their Cougar Card Cash,” Valdez said.

Augustin Askandari, an art junior, said he thinks the renovations will be an inconvenience.

“I’m just here to get educated and I could care less about these extra things,” Askandari said. “I come with my own food from home.”

• what about the City of Houston regulations for food trucks? they don't allow for seating within a certain perimeter. (and other fun regulations)

• I believe this is one of the most vital info for me.

And i’m satisfied reading your article. However should remark on some basic issues, The website style is perfect, the articles is truly nice : D. Just right process, cheers