Golf

Cougars look to move into top five in final round at Oak Hills

The Cougars are tied for seventh with Texas State heading into today’s final round of the Oak Hills Invitational in San Antonio.

UH stands 17 strokes behind leader No. 34 Oklahoma, but with a strong round could move up into the top five. They stand just three strokes behind fifth-place Wichita State.

After shooting a 292 in the first round of play, the Cougars shot 297 in the second round.

Sophomore Curtis Reed has carried the Cougars. Reed shot par in both rounds of the par-71 course and currently ranks sixth on the individual leaderboard.

Reed got off to a hot start, shooting birdies on two of the first three holes. He recorded four birdies total for the first round, but also shot four bogeys, including two on the back-nine on the 17th and 18th holes.

Reed shot par on 14-of-18 holes in the second round. He hit two birdies and two bogeys.

Freshman Roman Robledo has also helped keep the Cougars alive. After shooting +6 in the first round, Robledo charged up the leader board by shooting par in the second round.

Robledo got off to a rough start.

In the first round, he recorded four bogeys and one double bogey on the 15th hole.

His second round looked to be troublesome as well when he opened with a double bogey, but he recovered, sinking four birdies over the next 10 holes.

After decent performances in the first round, sophomore Will Dusenbury and Bryn Flanagan fell a few notches in the second round.

Dusenbury opened with a +4 round, but shot +12 in the second round.

Flanagan shot +7 in the second round after just being one-over in the first round.

Sophomore Wesley McClain also got off to a strong start for the Cougars, before running into trouble.

McClain opened with a birdie on the first hole of the first round and shot par on the next five holes.

McClain slipped on the ensuing holes, recording five bogeys in the next six holes.

After two rounds, as a team, UH has shot 589.

They trail leader Oklahoma (572), No. 32 Baylor (576), Texas Tech (577), No. 50 Louisiana-Lafayette (580) and No. 27 Wichita State (586).

No. 37 North Texas trails UH by just one stroke (590), and No. 40 Iowa State is right behind them at 591.

No. 38 Tulsa has had the most out-of-character performance, shooting 602 and finding themselves in second-to-last place.

Southeastern Louisiana is 11th with a score of 593, followed by Kansas State (596), host-school UTSA (598) and last-place Rice (617).

The final round at the 6,754-yard, par-71 course tees off at 7:30 a.m.