Softball

Keeping the streak alive

The Cougars’ dominant opening weekend helped them move up three spots in the rankings to No. 17. UH outscored its opponents 37-9 over five games and looks to remain undefeated this weekend against UL-Monroe and McNeese St.  |  Courtesy of UH Athletics

The Cougars’ dominant opening weekend helped them move up three spots in the rankings to No. 17. UH outscored its opponents 37-9 over five games and looks to remain undefeated this weekend against UL-Monroe and McNeese St. | Courtesy of UH Athletics

The No. 17 Cougars look to continue their hot start after sweeping the Hilton Head Plaza Classic last weekend.

Their 5-0 start was highlighted by a victory against No. 11 Oklahoma State.

The Cougars outscored their opponents 37-9 during the three-day tournament in which Diedre Outon was the key contributor.

She posted a 2-0 record and made her first career save with a 0.81 ERA in four appearances, earning Conference USA Pitcher of the Week.

“I am very happy for Diedre,” head coach Kyla Holas said. “She really worked hard this fall to be at exactly that spot.

“I hope she continues to have great success this season and the awards keep coming.”

Outon started the game against Oklahoma State, throwing a complete game, three hit-shutout to beat the Cowgirls 3-0.

Despite the unblemished record, Holas is still working hard to improve the team and to add to the current five-game winning streak.

“Our goal is to have everyone on the lineup hitting over .300.  Until that happens, we always have more to do as coaches,” Holas said.

Infielder Jennifer Klinkert leads the Cougars in hits, home runs, RBI and walks after the first five games of the season.  Klinkert’s three-run home run in the third inning against Sam Houston State proved to be the difference in the game as the Cougars snuck past the Bearkats 6-4.

The Cougars are back in action this weekend as they host the Houston Hilton Plaza Invitational.  The Cougars take on Louisiana-Monroe at 1 p.m. and McNeese State at 3 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.