Health

Discipline, persistence vital to weight loss

Now that I was 20 pounds thinner, I was excited and frustrated at the same time.

I was happy that I had completed such a feat, but was not sure how long it would take to lose another 20 pounds.

Since it was now summer, I switched from the sole routine cardio machine to swimming laps and riding more often with my cycling group.

Even though I had summer courses, I would arrive to class dressed in athletic gear to make myself want to work out later in the day.

I also made small changes like taking the stairs instead of the elevator and purposely parking further away to get more walking in.

When it came to eating choices, while studying vigorously, I knew I had to be careful.

Instead of buying the single patty burger at Wendy’s, it is much healthier to order to the Ultimate Chicken Grill.

Small actions like substituting ice cream for frozen yogurt and sugary drinks for fresh water actually helped more than one would think.

All the changes I made in my physical activity and eating habits soon paid off.

By the end of the summer I was 30 pounds lighter, and 10 pounds away from my target weight. I could taste victory.

Fall 2011 seemed like it would be a challenge with 15 hours of classes plus working for student publications, but I was so close that I did not want to let anything get in my way.

In addition to going to my neighborhood 24 Hour Fitness, I would exercise at the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center Thursday afternoons during my class break just to make sure I was physically active at least five days out of the week.

The new year came sooner than expected, but with it came my target weight.

A couple days before this semester began, I put on my favorite jeans while  I was getting ready to go out.

I was surprised at how big they felt and shocked when they fell off my hips. I went to weigh myself. The scale read 116 — a huge change from the 156 I saw just a year earlier.

I had finally made it.

• Is this a news article? You ate healthier and exercised more and, lo and behold, you lost weight. That's not a surprise to anyone. This article does not seem to be expressing any opinion, and it's not funny or entertaining, so it can't really be a column… It's like a diary entry. Why does this content warrant publication in the campus newspaper?

Also, you say: "Small actions like substituting ice cream for frozen yogurt and sugary drinks for fresh water actually helped more than one would think."

The way you phrase that sentence makes it sound like you're eating ice cream instead of frozen yogurt and sugary drinks instead of fresh water.

• Congratulations on reaching your goals. I think that's fantastic and I wish you well.

Please don't be disheartened if you gain back any of the weight that you have lost in the future. You body, in both weight and shape, will shift over time. This is perfectly natural, and expected.

If, after losing weight, you have any feeling of sadness or isolation, please also know that this is common and expected. Talk to friends, family, and sometimes even clergy to help with these feelings.

If, in the future, you feel like you are gaining and losing weight in a yo-yo fashion, or any feelings of sadness and isolation persist, please consider talking to a mental health professional. There is absolutely no shame in this, and if you need it, it can be of great help. Instead of a therapist or counselor, you _may_ also want to evaluate going to a recovery group, like OA.

Whatever happens, I wish you the best. Whatever others may say, feeling good about ourselves and maintaining a healthy lifestyle is what is most important.