Academics & Research

Houston Law Review ranked 42nd in nation

The Houston Law Review was established at the University of Houston Law Center in 1963. | Jack Chaiyakhom/The Daily Cougar

UH Law Center’s Houston Law Review ranked 42nd out of 1,683 journals nationally, according to Washington & Lee University School of Law.

Rankings are determined by the number of times a law school journal has been cited in legal scholarships and US case laws over the last eight years.

“It’s an honor to be ranked so highly,” said Editor in Chief Matt Hoffman, a law student.

“It’s recognition that the long hours and high-quality work that goes into this organization is warranted and recognized by our peers in the academic community.”

The Houston Law Review, founded in 1963, is a legal periodical that acts independently from law school administration; law students edit and publish the five annual issues of the journal.

The articles are written by students, professors and practitioners; they cover a variety of legal issues.

“We want to represent our law school and our organization on a national, state and local level in a way that is indicative of the high quality work that we do every day here,” Hoffman said.

“We understand that the work we do is viewed by professors from around the country so we take it seriously.”

Membership on the law review is highly competitive.

“The Houston Law Review is a pure meritocracy in every sense of the word,” Hoffman said.

“You gain admission into this organization based on your performance in law school, and continued membership in this organization is based on performing at the high level that previous members have established through decades of hard work.”

Success in the journal translates into real world opportunities, Hoffman said; alumni of the law school and former members of the law review who have gone on to have successful careers in the Houston legal market support the journal.

“We current members of Law Review have 50 years of past members to rely on for guidance on how to be successful on law review and how to be successful once you start practicing as an attorney,” Hoffman said .

“Membership opens a lot of doors in the Houston legal market. You have the opportunity to see a lot of really interesting things, meet a lot of interesting people and have a great career.”