Baseball

Cougars come up short in 3-1 loss

It’s too bad the Cougars were playing baseball instead of horseshoes because they came so close so many times.

In their first game away from Cougar Field, UH failed to take advantage of multiple scoring opportunities and stranded nine runners en route to a 3-1 loss to the University of Louisiana-Lafayette on Tuesday night.

The Cougars (6-6) found themselves in a hole from the onset as starting pitcher Austin Pruitt had a rough start, giving up two first-inning runs.

After the initial two runs, Pruitt settled down. He pitched eight innings, allowing two earned runs and six hits.

UH cut the deficit to 2-1 in the top of the second, scoring their first and only run of the game when John Cannon singled in Casey Grayson, who doubled to start the inning.

UL-Lafayette added another run in the third to push the score to 3-1.

The Cougars threatened to score many more times throughout the game, but couldn’t get any more runs across the plate.

In the fourth inning, UH had runners on first and second with one out but failed to score. In the seventh inning, the Cougars had the bases loaded with two outs, but couldn’t get the hit they needed.

The Cougars put up a rally in the ninth, getting two runners on with one out, but the Ragin’ Cajuns thwarted the UH threat by throwing out Cory Kay at home plate after he tried to score from second on a Landon Appling single to left field. Jonathan Davis then followed with a deep fly ball to left field that fell a few feet short of a home run and was caught on the warning track.

The Cougars next game is at 6:30 p.m. Friday in Oxford, Mississippi where they will take on the No. 17 Ole Miss Rebels.