Baseball

UH rallies back

While you were enjoying your spring break by heading to the beach or just kicking up your feet at home, the Cougars were out on the road trying to stock pile wins.

During the break, the Cougars played seven games finishing with  3-4 record.They started by heading to Oxford, Miss. to take on No. 14 Ole Miss.

Things didn’t start well for the Cougars. Tthey were outscored 28-3 over the three-game series. They failed to score a single run in the first two games, losing 8-0 and 9-0, respectively. In the final game they lost 11-3.

After the hurting the Rebels put on them, the Cougars returned home for a mid-week matchup against Sam Houston State.

The bats that had gone silent in Oxford suddenly came to life as the Cougars clobbered the Bearkats, 12-2. Chase Jensen went 4-for-5 and drove in a career-high five runs and starter Austin Pruitt picked up his first win as a Cougar.

“We needed to come out, pitch the lights out, play errorless baseball, and have a great offensive game,” head coach Todd Whitting said. “That’s what we did.”

The team then headed north to Stillwater, Okla. to take on Oklahoma State in a three-game series.

In the first game, the Cougars’ offense once again struggled to get on the scoreboard and the pitching staff couldn’t find the right pitches to stifle the Cowboys’ offensive attack. They dropped the game 14-0. But, as they have done all year, the Cougars bounced back with a resilient effort. They responded in the next game by slamming the Cowboys with a resounding 8-1 victory.

“We came back and responded today,” Whitting said. “We have showed at times this year that we can be really good.”

Starter Jordan Lewis had a dominant outing going seven strong innings, giving up one run on eight hits with four strikeouts. The Cougars also posted a season-high five extra-base hits, including two doubles by Casey Grayson. Landon Appling hit a home run — his second on the season. They came out on Sunday and put it to Oklahoma State again, but this time they just edged out the Cowboys 4-3.

John Cannon paced the Cougars at the plate, going 2-for-4 with two singles. On the mound the Cougars used four pitchers, with Codey Morehouse picking up the win with 5.1 innings of relief work. Mo Wiley earned the save. Pruitt started the game and went three innings, allowing two earned runs