Friday, August 19, 2022

Campus

The College Store is no more

After more than 20 years of offering students less expensive books, The College Store is closing its doors.

Nebraska Book Company, a textbook industry titan who owns 290 stores nationwide, including The College Store, filed for a Second Amended Plan for Reorganization and Disclosure Statement with the US Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware on March 7.

Although NBC received an extension when it came to the performance evaluations of about 40 off-campus bookstores, The College Store still wasn’t up to par.

The College Store Manager Jessica Brost said business started to decline with the popularity and convenience of online sales.

“We are among several stores on the list that will be closing,” Brost said.

“To be honest, it’s very difficult to say. They were looking at our fall and spring sales. Our sales have been declining over time.”

According to NBC, online purchasing isn’t the only factor contributing to the decline of sales in the off-campus bookstores. Recently, many colleges and universities have offered the option of renting textbooks, and then selling them back for lesser value.

“This store definitely coincides with what the whole industry is going through when it comes to textbooks,” Brost said.

“It is very difficult to compete with Amazon or E-book.

“We pay more for books than they do. It’s a very tough thing to go through.”

The increase of online sales, textbook rentals and the popularity of tablets have left many employees of the industry jobless.

“Most of us here are going to be on the job market very soon. I’m just hoping for the best for all of us,” Brost said.

“It’s unfortunate because the minute we put everything on sale, a long line of people showed up.”

• COVID-19