Music

Artists rock the UH Frontier

Local Houston rap outfit, The Niceguys, closed Frontier Fiesta on Friday to an energetic crowd. The night also featured local rapper Doughbeezy.  |  Jamaal Ellis/Courtesy of The Niceguys

Local Houston rap outfit, The Niceguys, closed Frontier Fiesta on Friday to an energetic crowd. The night also featured local rapper Doughbeezy. | Jamaal Ellis/Courtesy of The Niceguys

As Frontier Fiesta has featured numerous hip-hop acts in the past, Friday night followed in the tradition and welcomed some local rap talent.

Two of Houston’s burgeoning hip-hop acts, Doughbeezy and the Niceguys, held prime time slots in the lineup.

Doughbeezy, a Southeast Houston resident who claims the title “the Southeast beast” is considered by many to be one of the most interesting new rappers within city limits.

Per usual, Doughbeezy owned the stage with confidence when he stepped onto it, grabbing the audience’s attention with a high-energy a cappella verse.

He followed up with his two biggest hits, the original “Light You Up” and his “Pass The Swisher” freestyle. Both tracks which are off of his mixtape “Reggie Bush And Kool-Aid,” are responsible for the majority of the buzz surrounding Doughbeezy.

His winning talents, a quick flow and ability to raid instrumentals with a seizing mic presence, were showcased on the two hits. As a performer, the rapper holds an attitude as straightforward and entertaining as someone who’s been rocking stages for years.

The night’s final act, the Niceguys, stormed the stage with the four members ready to go, enthusiastic and primed.

The four-man posse is comprised of three producers, one of which who also DJs and is an MC.

The group is hot on the heels of performing at South by Southwest and being chosen for the XXL Magazine Freshman official showcase.

The Niceguys, who met at UH, sure seemed at home, having fun performing their song, “Married to the Mob.”

The MC of the group, Easy Yves Saint, sporting a zebra bucket hat, was all over the place while on stage and had the help of his stage men to fill in words.

In addition to their songs, the group took instrumentals from popular songs and added their own zing, giving accessibility to those unfamiliar with the group.

Eventually the Niceguys swept into “Toast,” the soaring party track featuring big horns and a jamboree of drums lent from their album, “The Show.” The track is an ode to accomplishment and an enjoyment of hard work, a positive sort of track off of which many of their songs vibe.

The Niceguys weren’t short of friends. At one point a crowd of around 15 men were on stage — many of whom caught up in dancing.

While a momentary mob on stage is characteristic of a hip-hop show and can be exciting, in this instance it became overblown and overwhelming. It was like they were enjoying their songs so much they forgot to attend to the crowd, unconcerned with their reception.

But, by the end of the performance, the rappers were going into radio hits, building further crowd participation.