Piland ready to lead Cougars

In eight starts as a true freshman, David Piland threw for 2,641 yards and 24 touchdowns. Piland will be the starter this season after redshirting last year. | Hendrick Rosemond/The Daily Cougar

On paper, many things have changed for the Cougars between their win in the TicketCity Bowl and the opening of spring practice — a new starting quarterback, new offensive coordinator, and an entire new group of starting receivers.

David Piland is pretty comfortable though.

New offensive coordinator Mike Nesbitt’s playbook is very similar to the one that Piland worked with the past two seasons, and with UH graduating all four of last year’s starting receivers, Piland will move into the starting lineup with the group he worked with last season as a backup.

“It’s a similar playbook,” Piland said. “I wouldn’t say it’s exactly the same, but it’s the same offense. It’s the air-raid, you’re going to throw the ball all over, but there’s still a lot of things to learn as a team.

“You’ll see a lot of new faces, but a lot of big plays.”

Piland looked sharp at practice on Monday afternoon. The practice reps that he had with potential starters at receiver, Dewayne Peace, Daniel Spencer, Mark Roberts, Isaiah Sweeney and Ronnie Williams last season has given him a head start on their timing.

“We have pretty good chemistry,” Piland said. “We’re really on the same page about what we’re doing.”

After starting eight games as freshman, Piland redshirted last season when then-seniors Case Keenum and Cotton Turner returned. It was a great learning experience for Piland, but he is ready to now be a leader on the field and show what he can do.

“It’s been great,” he said. “All of guys look to me for leadership, which is great because I like to be in that position. Obviously from having played and finally getting the reins where I’m not a backup and having to play in somebody’s shoes, it’s great.