Events

UC patio to be site of outdoor film screenings

Each semester, an interesting cross-section of movies is featured on the University of Houston’s version of the big screen, making the annual Outdoor Movie Festival an interesting facet of UH life.

Last year, “Kick Ass” and “Toy Story 3” were among the films shown. Breaking from that mode, UH’s Student Video Network, which organizes the event, selected a different theme of movies this semester.

The festival begins at 7 p.m. tonight with the screening of David Fincher’s “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo,” which is sponsored by the Council of Ethnic Organizations.

The Student Programming Board sponsors the Wednesday night showing of “Woman in Black,” which stars Daniel Radcliffe.

For the closing night of the festival, Tom Cruise fans may be left disappointed because the plan to show “Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol” was scrapped. The Metropolitan Volunteer Program, however, sponsors the sci-fi thriller “Chronicle.”

Ali Iqbal, SVN’s vice president of production, said the festival is a great place to bring a date.

“It’s very relaxed, it’s chill and it involves students,” Iqbal said. “You can just come out and bring a friend. So grab a friend and enjoy the movie.”

If Facebook is a reliable source of how many people will make their way to the festival over the next three days, then more than 150 students will bring their blankets to the University Center’s North Patio for the free movies.

SVN reps are expecting a heftier crowd to appear over the course of the festival. Iqbal said that around 200-300 students could be present each day.

Each film will screen from 7 to 9 p.m. through Thursday at the UC North Patio. SVN and sponsors will provide free popcorn and soda. Students will also be able to snag other souvenirs such as water bottles, whistles, wristbands, T-shirts and maybe even some Cougar Trading Cards.