Student Government

Senate begins 2012 legislative session

No new legislation was introduced when the 49th Student Government Association senate held its first meeting Wednesday.

Instead, the senators in attendance were sworn in, and short speeches were given by several members of SGA.

“We’ve been through a lot this year, and we’re not the only ones; UT disqualified one of their presidential candidates, LSU just recently disqualified an entire party from campaigning,” said Chief Justice Taylor Kilroy.

“This is your opportunity to band together and be in SGA. Forget the parties, forget who you ran against, forget all that nonsense. Because your job right now is to work for students.”

SGA President Cedric Bandoh said he wants to set up a task force to reform the SGA election code, judicial code, bylaws and constitution.

“I think a lot of the issues that arose during the elections came because those documents were very ambiguous, had a lot of loopholes, had a lot of contradictions in them,” Bandoh said.

“To move forward and be effective in the things we do, I think it’s important to improve the documents that we use to govern ourselves internally.”

Former SGA President Michael Harding said he decided to rescind his veto of the Good Samaritan Act, which was passed in the final meeting of the 48th senate two weeks ago, but he declined to comment on why.

Seventeen members were initially in attendance, but several more filtered in as the meeting progressed.

• “We’ve been through a lot this year, and we’re not the only ones; UT disqualified one of their presidential candidates, LSU just recently disqualified an entire party from campaigning,” said Chief Justice Taylor Kilroy.

That quote actually came from Cedric Bandoh.