Cougars make connections at fair

Hundreds of students turned out to the job fair Wednesday.  |  Courtesy of Patricia Tamez

Hundreds of students turned out to the job fair Wednesday. | Courtesy of Patricia Tamez

About 500 University of Houston students looking for summer jobs and internships met with 55 potential employers at Wednesday’s Summer Jobs for Coogs Fair in the University Center Houston Room.

The employers ranged from the Hobby Center for the Performing Arts to the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center.

“The employers were pleased with the fair and mentioned they will be interviewing many students in the next week or so,” said Recruiting Assistant Patricia Taméz.

“Based on feedback from employers and students, many do end up obtaining jobs and internships through our career fairs.”

Once students finished making their rounds, volunteers had them take a quick survey on the experience. Students said they were happy with the various job and internship opportunities our employers were offering.

“We always receive great feedback from the employers, they love UH students. We encourage students to fill these forms for us to know what we can do better the next time around,” said Job Bank Coordinator Jazel Borja.

Feedback from the employers is also important, and many found a lot of good candidates and plan on returning next year, said Assistant Director Theresa Cyr.

“One particular employer stated they only attend this career fair,” Cyr said, “and that they always get great candidates from UH.”

An annual event since spring 2010, the job fair provides students with practice for when they attend career fairs looking for an entry level position

“We encourage students to see a career counselor prior to the event (and) be prepared with their resume and questions they should ask the employers,” Borja said.

“Making first impressions are definitely important. Therefore, students should dress professionally or business casual to this event.”

Tamez coordinated the volunteers involved with the event.

“I can’t say enough good things about all the staff, student workers and volunteers that worked tirelessly to make this a successful event,” said Lauren Moore, who was also involved in the team.

“We received lots of compliments from the employers. Our volunteers even assisted employers to unload their cars and carry items to their table.”