Friday, August 19, 2022

Policy change: Pay by major, not class

Starting fall 2012, tuition costs will be determined by major instead of by course; dividing majors into three groups based on cost.

The ultimate goal of the University is to save money, said Provost John Antel.

The first group will consist of majors that do not require much financing or equipment such as English and Art History, while the second will include majors such as chemistry and biology — mainly majors in the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics. The third group will be composed of the more expensive and in-demand degrees like engineering and technology.

This should keep the cost of tuition down for students overall, Antel said.

“The University of Houston is not raising tuition anymore,” Antel said.

“We are not going to make our students pay any more than they have to.”

The National Center for Educational Statistics reported that only 15 percent of students graduate in four years and only 46 percent graduate within six years.

Antel said he hopes students will have a better idea of when their college experience will end under the new system.

“Many students at this university take six, seven or sometimes even eight years to receive their bachelor’s degree,” he said.

“A big reason for this is because of finances. The University will have better degree plans available for each major on the campus and on the website with the price of each course so students can have a better idea of how they can manage their course load from a money stand-point. We will hire more advisers and counselors to assist all our students with this.”

The system will also work in favor for freshmen; core classes cost much less to teach.

“I think this would definitely be better for everyone at this school because salaries also vary by degree,” said advertising senior Lauren Proff.

“It’s just not fair for an art major to pay the same as a chemical engineering major.”

Tags: ,

• COVID-19