Wednesday, October 17, 2018

UH to increase parking spaces by 4,000

There is construction underway all across the University’s campus.  |  Emily Chambers/The Daily Cougar

There is construction underway all across the University’s campus. | Emily Chambers/The Daily Cougar

At a combined estimated cost of $46 million, the stadium and Lot 1A parking garages will increase the number of parking spaces available to students.

Student parking will increase by 19 percent with about 3,000 new parking spaces generated dedicated solely to students, said Director of Parking and Transportation Bob Browand.

There will be 4,000 new spaces added to the overall inventory. About 2,300 of those spots will be from the stadium parking garage, while around 1,700 of them will come from the Lot 1A garage.

The spaces in the estimated $26 million stadium parking garage will be available for the 2012-2013 student parking registration. There will also be a retail section in the new garage that will open in the fall semester.

“There’s going to be three things — a convenience store, a Taco Cabana and a spirit store,” said Principal Project Manager John Posch.

“(The spirit store will) have (UH spirit items) and, at some times during the year, textbooks as well.”

Construction on the estimated $20 million Lot 1A garage will begin this summer and is set to open to students in the fall 2013 semester.

No street closures are expected because of the construction, but the cut-through from Calhoun Road to Entrance 4 will be closed. Some impact on traffic is anticipated on Calhoun Road, from where the construction traffic will enter the site, Posch said.

“We will work with the construction team to have larger deliveries made during non-peak times,” Browand said.

“Any concrete pours will be performed early morning, starting as early as 3 a.m., so they will not conflict with morning traffic.”

Lot 1A currently hosts two lots, one of which is a residential lot designated for students living in the Moody Towers or Cougar Village residence halls. Parking and Transportation plans to oversell less to accommodate these students in the new garage.

“All parking will be on a first-come, first-serve basis, but we will lower our oversell ratio to compensate for residential parking habits,” Browand said.

“Our goal is to never turn away a garage-assigned parker, and, aside from a few times early in the fall semester at the Welcome Center garage, we have achieved that goal.”

Students who currently have a parking spot in Lot 1A can sign up for one of the alternative parking areas previously provided for those students affected by the stadium parking garage construction.

These include lots on Leek Street, at the intramural fields and a temporary lot at Bayou Oaks, Browand said.

“We developed (about 700 spots) last year for the stadium garage project, which will be available during this project,” Browand said.

“There is also the option to park at ERP (Energy Research Park).  Shuttle service to ERP was increased during the stadium garage construction, and it will remain the same during the Garage 1A construction.”

Tags: ,