Thursday, June 30, 2022

UH students fight Perry’s budget with shirt slogan

In response to the defunding of the Women’s Health Program in Texas, some students are using comedy and charity as a way to connect to the student body.

Creative writing sophomore Miranda Denmon and photography junior Maggie McCartney were concerned when they heard about Gov. Rick Perry’s new budget plan.

“I remember first hearing about the defunding of the Women’s Health Program — I was completely dumbstruck and scared,” Denmon said.

“The Women’s Health Program is the only kind of health care I have, and I knew I was not the only one. Thousands of women and their families depend on Planned Parenthood’s services for education, family planning and prenatal care.”

Trying to keep the highly politically charged situation fairly uncharged while still getting their message across, Denmon and McCartney placed spoonerism joke onto a t-shirt, hoping to give the raised funds from sales to Planned Parenthood.

“The t-shirt idea started off as a joke. I posted ‘Puck Ferry’ on my Facebook, and my friend Maggie McCartney had responded saying that t-shirts should be made,” Denmon said.

“The next day we talked, and found out that we both were serious, wanting to do something to make a difference. We decided we’d make a few, then sell them and donate the profit to Planned Parenthood.”

Denmon and McCartney said they did not anticipate such a large response — within two days, 50 confirmed orders, donations and volunteers — to their social media advertisements for shirts and were soon placed in contact with student Sarah Wood, president of Voices of Planned Parenthood.

“The overwhelming response we’ve received is inspiring and comforting, but I fear for the future,” Denmon said.

“Legislation is being proposed all over the country that undermines women’s freedom, privacy and access to health services … It’s heartbreaking, to see the statistics of how many women depend on Planned Parenthood’s services, who won’t be able to (receive it) after April 30.”

The two students said they plan on having a booth on campus where they will sell shirts that read “Puck Ferry” on them.

“Sarah (Wood) was extremely enthusiastic about the entire idea and has now helped us book a booth to do exactly that,” Denmon said.

“The event will be on April 25, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., outside the M.D. Anderson Library…We will be selling t-shirts for ten dollars each.”

Tags: , , ,

• COVID-19