Baseball

Cougars head to Huntsville

In their last meeting on March 13, UH beat SHSU 12-2 at Cougar Field. | Hendrick Rosemond/The Daily Cougar

The Cougars will return to Conference USA action this weekend against Marshall, but before they get ready for their stretch run, they’ll head to Huntsville to take on Sam Houston State in a midweek contest.

Swept by Texas Tech over the weekend, the Cougars (12-21-1, 1-7-1 C-USA) will look to rebound against the No. 24 Bearkats (25-10, 15-3 Southland Conference). The two teams have already faced each other once this season on March 13 at Cougar Field, with UH winning 12-2.

In that game, the Cougars pounded out twelve hits and used a nine-run fifth inning to breeze to the win. The team also put their leadoff runner on in each of the first five innings and had hits in six-of-eight innings.

The Cougars did something in that game they haven’t been able to do consistently this season; they were able to play a complete game.

“We needed to come out, pitch the lights out, play errorless baseball, and have a great offensive game; that’s what we did,” head coach Todd Whitting said after the March 13 game.

Since that game, the two clubs have headed in opposite directions; UH is 5-13 and SHSU is 3-16. The Bearkats have also won 14 out of their last 15 games.

Designated hitter Anthony Azar leads the Bearkats with a blistering .417 batting average. He also leads the team in hits (49), doubles (nine) and RBI (32).

For the Cougars, Codey Morehouse and John Cannon will look to continue their hot-streaks at the plate. Cannon had eight hits, one run and two RBIs, while Morehouse had six hits, three runs and three RBIs over three games against the Red Raiders. First pitch is slated for 6:30 p.m. at Don Sanders Stadium in Huntsville.