Out of GOP options

For many of America’s right-wingers, the race for the GOP nomination was, at the very least, painful and humiliating. At most, it was a very compelling reason to apply duct tape to the old “Vote Republican” bumper sticker — that is, until the election ends.

But with Rick Santorum out of the running, the race has essentially fallen into Mitt Romney’s lap.

Newt Gingrich is likely to divorce our nation and marry China for the money, so long as our largest debt holder ignores Gingrich’s 84 ethics violations.

Ron Paul, sad to say, is apparently a figment of our imagination. He is a good guy, running an honest, consistent politician running on the merits of financial responsibility and independence, not muddling his hands in the social dogma that’s distracted our country for the last several months. He hasn’t been absorbed with the never-ending bouncing from social issue to social issue that our country has partaken in while our gas prices continue to rise up and over that four-dollar mark.

For the sake of argument, let’s say that Paul is just a character in a how-to manual for politicians, quietly collecting dust in the bottom of a desk somewhere. Romney is the Republican nominee for the presidency. What are we working with, Republicans?

This is what Republicans are working with: a consistently inconsistent, white-collar, super suburbanite whose most damning quote is “Corporations are people too, my friend.” His idea of social welfare is general indifference — why care about them if they already have a “safety net?” The GOP’s current champion against President Barack Obama is the most far-removed person from your typical Joe Schmoe since Mr. Magoo. I watch NASCAR. I would love to meet Dale Earnheart Jr. and shake the man’s hand.

Romney is friends with NASCAR team owners. He says he’s hunted all his life. He’s hunted once when he was 15, then again six years ago. He makes $10,000 bets just because he can and his idea of fresh air for his dog is strapping it to the top of one of his wife’s two Cadillacs.

Romney represents a very select percentage of the Republican Party. One might be tempted to say the very top percent. The first percentage, if you will. But when the stereotype of the Republican’s stance on social issues is brought up, gone are the suits of the one percent, and on are the cowboy hat and overalls of the average Joe.

Now we have the true base of the Republican party: simple working class men and women, the people that are sitting next to you on the bus, next to you in class and eating in front of and behind you at the McDonald’s.

The Republican base is supposed to be the blue-collar backbone of America. Don’t spend what you don’t have and don’t take a dime if you hadn’t earned it. That’s blue-collar philosophy. That’s Southern philosophy. That’s Texas philosophy. Romney doesn’t respect any blue-collar values. He smears caviar all over them. When he tries to sympathize with us, he patronizes us.

As a note, not a mention of his policies has been made thus far. I haven’t spoken a word about what he’s said on the economy, on foreign policy or on social issues, and it is mostly because it is difficult to keep up with the rate of stances he keeps changing.

I speak on his character as an individual and as a man, and he doesn’t hold a grain of salt to what the Republican Party needs in a candidate because what the GOP needs is someone who can, at the very least, hold a train of thought for more than five seconds without flipping tracks.

But at the way the primaries have been going and the way the media is treating a certain more respectable, honorable and consistent candidate, Romney’s essentially got the nomination on a golden, jewel-encrusted platter.

So congratulations to presidential hopeful Mitt Romney on his victory — by default.

James Wang is a history freshman and may be reached at [email protected].

• This article brought a tear to my eye and im not even American.

If Obama or Romney gets elected.
    Your country is truely F**KED!

• Ron Paul is right in the thick of the fight with many of the delegates being his people plus Santorum supporters have now joined him. It is not basically a two person race of Paul versus Romney, with Newt having no support nor money left. With the support of the people Paul will stop Romney in Tampa

• It’s not over ’til it’s over. Even if Paul doesn’t get the nomination, there’s still a whole race to run. He can run 3rd party.

• I would not be so quick to count Paul out. The MSM may like to throw up completely bogus delegate counts that look like he's out, but he secretly has way more than is lead on.

Romney will most likely not get enough delegates to clench the nomination out right. So round 2. But this is where Romney will run into real problems because all of the bound delegates he has are free to vote conscience and Ron Paul is going to get a ton of those.

Just because the MSM likes to pretend that Ron Paul doesn't exist, doesn't mean he isn't secretly grabbing a majority of delegates in every non-binding caucus going. Romney by no means has this nomination sewn up.

• Exactly what reality do you live in that Romney won't get enough delegates to win? He has WELL over 50% of hte delegates that have already been awarded, and is EASILY going to get 50% of the rest of them (starting with 85-90% next week) And he is OUTPERFORMING expectations (based on popular vote totals) in the caucus states. Getting 45% of the Colorado delegates even though he only got 5% of the vote…getting all but 1 Wyoming delegate even though he should have only gotten half…etc. So the media's numbers that show him close to 700 are even LOWER than reality since they factoring in the lower numbers for those states.

The scary thing for you (and hilarious for others) is that at some point, you are going to wake up and realize that you are in the real world and can't continue to act like you are in fantasyland. And it will be so overwhelming that you will findthe nearest shotgun, and eat the bullet.

Please tell me something…in your fantasyland reality.what states is Romney NOT going to win coming up. And don't embarrass yourself with California (where Romney has THREE TIMES as many supporters in the polls as Ron Paul) or Texas…where Ron Paul is hated because they know him best.

It is simple…taking JUST next week then California, NJ and UTah (the latter two will be winner take all GUARANTEED victories for Romney) and a proportional amount for Texas, Romney has it pretty much sewn up. Not even factoring in the 150 or so other delegates to be awarded in other upcoming primaries. And not counting the superdelegates which will be overwhelmingly Romney. Or the other caucus states where again…Romney is doing better than he should

Romney gets 1400 EASILY. And you continue to embarrass your family.

• You like to take the spoon fed information from the mass media like it is gospel when all they want is to push Romney as hard as they can. One day you are going to wake up from your fantasy land of believing anything you hear on TV is the whole truth.

Please show me evidence of Romney's delegate numbers. Citing AP does not count. I want you to show me how he already somehow has delegates from non-binding straw poll states. Quoting winning 45% of delegates in a state when he is this marvelous popular front-runner is a laugh. His only opponent there was Ron Paul and he only got 45% of the delegates? Yeah he is doing great!

Please calm down, stop telling pretending like you have a crystal ball.

• Ron may not be winning the beauty contests, but he’s going to go down fighting at Tampa… here’s hoping for a round 2 to sucker-punch Rmoney’s block off!

• Simple question, Are you better off today than four years ago?
    Do you feel like keeping 4 more years of the same last 4?
    Sorry but Obama can't win over the guilty conscience voters this time around.
    All the middle ground people will vote based upon what their paycheck really buys for them now.
    So back to Chicago at the end of the term for him.